W124 Fuel venting problem

I have a 1989 260E 120k kms that has started to vent fuel from the vent adjacent to the fuel filling point. It vents any time it feels like it and is not dependant on the quantity of fuel in the tank. Can any one please
give me guidance on how to get rid of this rather expensive problem.
Regards Kev Lamb