was there ever a AMG 280 twin cam option?

Yes, it was available back in the '80s. 185hp I believe.

my quest for better acceleration is making me think that rebuilding my motor, or bits of it to this spec may be feasible, and a lot easier than a V8 conversion,,,any more info out there in cyber world?

acceleration than the European M110 already has, because my 280CE accelerates like an elephant with it's 185HP's : slow, but steady.
But once you get to 60, you have all the acceleration you could ever want.
I think you should go with the V8 solution, or at least put a manual gearbox in the old workhorse. In this way you can get the engine up in the +3500rpm's where the HP's are present. As far as i remember, the engine delivers max around 4700rpm's.
/Jesper