What Type of Mercedes is this? Never seen one....

I have the opportunity to buy this MB, and am considering doing so only because I cannot identify it.
Exceptionally similar in body design to similar year VW busses.
Any ideas at all?
http://www.inet-lender.com/mercedes

looks like an old Hanomag to me
Greetings from the Netherlands
Theo
iNet wrote:

That is a Tempo Matador E (1963-1967) - an early predecessor of the Mercedes (Dodge/Freightliner) Sprinter.
It was built in Hamburg, Germany from 1963 to 1965 as Tempo Matador E, since 1966 Hanomag had the say so the name changed to Hanomag Matador E. In 1967 the much-renewed Matador was labelled Hanomag-Henschel F20 to F35, depending on the weight-class.
In 1969 Mercedes bought 51 percent of Hanomag-Henschel and the cars were labelled as Mercedes, first as F20 to F35, later 207/307/206D/307D as then an option was the 200D diesel engine from /8
Some photos and much German text at <http://www.tempo-dienst.de/neu/Geschichte/history/scheinwerfer2-75.htm
Juergen
Juergen . schrieb:

But it seems to me that this particular car was never delivered from factory with a star. I suppose the star was installed later by one of the owners of the car. If I were the original poster, I would not buy this car, because the condition is too bad to rebuild and many parts are missing (almost half of the engine)
Frank -- please replace spam-muelleimer with fk-newsgroups for e-mail contact
Citroen - Made in Trance
Frank Kemper wrote:

Exactly, the Matador E was only delivered as Tempo Matador E and Hanomag Matador E.
The successor of the Matador E was later delivered with the star on the front, too.

The engone is no problem at all, it is a wide-spread (in the UK) Austin gasoline engine (54 PS, 1600 ccm, from Austin 50 IIRC), that should really be no problem.
But the rust IS a problem, every rotten part has to be rebuild by hand, that is time-consuming and I think the missing bumpers could be a problem, too.
Juergen
From even before posting here, I thought that the star on front did not look right..
Fantastic help, people, thank you. I already backed out of the transaction.

iNet wrote:

Backing out may have been a mistake.
Do you have dogs?
It would make an excellent doghouse.
.
--

Nothing is the way it is because that's the way it has to be.

1 HP = 745.69987158227022 Watts
Were you ever serious?
:-) DAS
"iNet" < snipped-for-privacy@moo.com> wrote in message
It is a VW bus! P.

No, Its not, but the body design sure is similar

VW Busses had a rear mounted engine until the early 90's
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance