What type of clutch ??

Hi All

1995 1275 Rover Mini Sidewalk can anyone advise what type of clutch is fitted to this mini, Verto or none Verto, Thanks Fitzy
Reply to
Fitzy

Verto, fitted from 1983 onwards I think, don't ask if I have a clutch puller :-) I lent it to someone in Whitchurch & never got it back,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

Hi Steve, Thanks for the reply, I have just had a email from Clive,,, another mini enthusiast,, he has basically said the same as you, Verto,,, Are the clutch pullers the same for Verto and none Verto, Thanks (how's the S doing these days) Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Yes, the puller should come with 2 sets of bolts, one for the early flywheels & one for the later ones, the S is fine, sort of hibernating, I got a bare mk 1 shell now in Surrey laid up, so you never know what may be around the corner!!

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

well after a bit of a struggle getting the flywheel off, I finally fitted the clutch, only to find there is a slight vibration when the engine is revved, it didn't have this before any one have any Ideas what could be the cause of this,

TIA

Reply to
Fitzy

Did you put the locking washer/tab over on the big bolt on the end of the crankshaft? I know I didnt once and got a hell of a lot of vibration until the clutch let go!!!!!!

Reply to
minifreek

Yep, Bolt tightened to 112 lb ft, and washer was bent in to correct positions,

I think I may have cracked the flywheel when I used a drift to impact it from the starter hole, I am going to remove the complete assembly again, and inspect every component, looks like the weekend is the only chance I will have, due to other commitments, I will come back and let the group know what I find,

Thanks for the input Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

UPDATE after stripping off the clutch again and examining all components, no defective parts found, so using a dial gauge , I checked the run-out on the end of the crankshaft, and it was 2 thou/ins out,

I can only assume I bent the end of the crankshaft by hitting it to shock the clutch assy off so with the aid of the same drift and hammer, I whacked it back to less than

1 thou/ins , I started the engine after fitting the flywheel and clutch, and the vibration had gone,

I think the metal these later cranks are made from must be different, because years ago , we never used a puller, we just gave them a few belts with a hammer and a bar , and off came the flywheel without bending anything,

Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy