Gear 1 hiccup & other ?'s

Does anyone have any information as to MINI's production-line fix of the infamous throttle stutter in First Gear? Are cars still being shipped with this design flaw? Is the Cooper S (which I'm waiting to order) any less vulnerable to it?

Some owners report this annoying problem, some owners have never experienced it, and still other owners are patiently waiting for "software upgrades" via warranty. Your comments will be welcome, and integral to the placement of my BRG/White order.

Also, I've been unable to discover the cost of the Sirius satellite radio option. Any figures? And has MINI done anything about the rattling interiors that have generated so many complaints? My sales rep at Baron BMW asks my indulgence because "it's not exactly a 7-Series BMW." Well, it's not exactly a Yugo either, so I'm exercising my patience and optimism to thwart my lustful craving for a car that must at least be in developmental puberty to become my partner

TIA, Trey Behan

Reply to
Trey Behan

Many thanks, Angie, for the information and for the reassurances about Baron. Now as to the BRG/White:

I'm open to suggestions, but I think this combo (white wheels, mirrors, and roof) looks pretty cool---it's even my wallpaper on my work computer. I'm old enough to remember when Paddy Hopkirk campaigned the original, and to have had fun driving Mini's in England. I'm a huge racing fan, I particularly root for British drivers and teams, and I miss the days when competing countries had their own distinctive colors (such as British Racing Green). The white roof (moonroof, no decal) is to stave off the UV's.

So what color is your car, and how did you select it?

Trey Behan

Reply to
Trey Behan

Mine is Indi Blue with Black roof and mirrors. How did I come up with this delightful combination, you ask? Ring, ring...Roadshow, how may I direct your call...John Lloyd please...this is John...Hey John, what's the cheapest one you got with a sunroof?

Really, that's pretty much it. I had thought I wanted a silver one, but when John told me about the Indi Blue and black and I looked at it online, I was all over it. I really really like the combo and never would have put it together myself. I think the blue is fun, but the black accents makes it look kinda tough. I parked next to an Indi Blue and white and mine just looked cooler. And I'm not the least bit biased...

Get what you love, Trey. That's all that really matters.

Keep us posted! - Angie

Reply to
AngieB

Hi Trey,

I have a June, 2003 build MCS and haven't noticed any of the 1st gear stutter problems that people have mentioned (in fact, not one problem with the car). I think some people may be confusing some of the inherent qualities with problems. For instance, I have to give it a bit more gas in First than I'm used to from my old manual cars. Also, the DSC prevents you from spinning your wheels in first (this is what it's supposed to do) and most people are used to being able to do this. You can always turn this off if you wanna do this. The automatic AC also reduces power a little. I have a sunroof and like to drive with it open and the windows down anyway so this issue isn't a big deal with me. Even with the AC on, I really don't notice that big a drag on the power anyway. It has more than enough power for me. All-in-all, it's the most fun I've ever had driving. Every day I can't wait to get in it and go for a spin. It just keeps getting better!

Good luck and enjoy!

Reply to
PhillyMCS

I've had my IB/B MINI for two days now and it's beautiful. I love the color combination because it looks rich (not money, more like deep..know what I mean?) and classic. It will be a bit of a problem where I live, central California, because of the heat and the dust, but I wouldn't trade the colors for anything.

kat

Reply to
hep kat

Kat, I do know what you mean -- there's so much black already on the car the choice of a black roof and mirrors just seems "right". I think the white cheapens the look (don't flame me! It's just my opinion). And as far as heat on the black roof, I don't worry about it -- that's why I have air conditioning and use a windshield screen when parked. It's a non-issue for me. Congrats on your new MINI! - Angie

Reply to
AngieB

The truth is that you haven't encountered the stutter problem, because it has nothing to do with A/C load, DSC, improper launch, or any of that. It isn't subtle at all, and only seems to occur in high acceleration situations from a stop: the car is accelerating nicely, say 100 feet from the start and doing 30 mph or more, and then goes flat like you knocked the wind out of it. I think the car actually slows down when this happens. It only recovers several seconds later (usually after blipping the throttle a couple of times and/or reducing throttle level) and takes off again. My car (MCS) had this in spades when new, and got a software upgrade that largely addressed it, but it still shows up very occasionally.

Reply to
Wayne S. Hill

Now there is this solid gold one down the street that I'm *trying* to like. I just can't get over that whole top to bottom gold thing.

kat

Reply to
hep kat

I understand how classic it is and all -- and like you, I really do think they look great in any color (well, except for the gold thing). I guess I'm just not a white roof kinda girl! When I was "building my own" on the MINI website, every time I tried a white roof it just wasn't working for me. Even though it is "traditional" I just couldn't make myself REALLY like it. I guess that's why they offer choices! Unfortunately they never ultimately offered my original choice. Before they rolled out the first MINIs they had like 16 colors on the website. I was totally in love with ICEBURG. A beautiful teal color, stronger than the silk green. I still have a printout of it, but the color just disappeared.

- Angie

Reply to
AngieB

LOL! That is so dead on with the PT comparison. Like with puppies, I don't think I've ever seen an ugly MINI. However, that gold one...

kat

Reply to
hep kat

I think the white cheapens the look>

The BRG/white with white wheels is

The two opinions expressed above illustrate one of the reasons I want this car. It seems to be a ride of choice for people who think for and express themselves, as a direct contrast to the beige Camry crowd. As a completely open-minded individual I enjoyed reading both points of view---right and WRONG

Flameless in Kansas City, Trey Behan

Reply to
Trey Behan

We were intending to order our mini in (chili) red with a white roof. But we were rather unexpectedly put in the situation of needing to get the car rather earlier than intended - a vehicle suffered catastrophic engine failure. Fortunately our dealer had a red/black car with almost the exact set of options we wanted due to arrive three weeks later.

Now we've got it I must admit that I think the black roof looks better, especially if you go for the sunroof, and it ties in with the pillars.

Reply to
John Francis

Oh, BTW: picture at

Reply to
John Francis

Yeah, I have a April 2003 MCS and have this 1st gear stutter problem. This is definitely a known issue, (just check out Mini2.com). A lot of people don't notice or don't care for one of the following reasons: attribute to the fact they are getting used to their new car, the fact that it is a new car, they think it's symptonmatic, inability to drive a stick well etc. However this is a known issue. It shows up more at high rev than low rev. This problem is primarily 'cause this is electronic throttle, and no cables etc. We are all patientialy waiting for a fix :(

I'm waiting for a like 4K - 5K miles to finish the break period, before I take it and have them look at it.

My 2 cents.

-Ram

Reply to
Ram

in article cKcUa.35920$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com, Trey Behan at snipped-for-privacy@kc.rr.com wrote on 7/25/03 11:17 AM:

OK, Trey, I was on the road today along with a BRG/White S with rally stripes and those big fogs. It was pretty stinkin' cute. I'm not saying I'm "WRONG" though!

- Angie

Reply to
AngieB

I passed on the black roof due to the buckling problem experienced under heat with black roofs. Check out the forums at

where this issue was discussed at length. Instead, I opted for BRG/WHT with alloy wheels on my S. But you can't go wrong - its an awesome motor!!!

-- flyline

"Work c> >

Reply to
flyline

But the Black roof looks so cool. I bought the Pure Silver with a Black Roof. Since I live in Houston, it's a good thing I have covered parking at home and work cause it's gets pretty hot down here.

Reply to
Tsunami

in article 7%WVa.137630$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.austin.rr.com, Tsunami at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 7/30/03 4:44 PM:

The buckling problem doesn't happen on cars with sunroofs.

Reply to
AngieB