Mini Cooper SPI timing

I have a Cooper SPI mini and the distributor body has been moved. Until now, I've always had carb minis that I could set the timing manually. Can anyone please tell me how I check/alter the timing on the SPI mini.

Reply to
flash harry

The SPi's are timed via the MEMS from the reluctor ring on the back of the flywheel. The distributor only "distributes" the spark as there are no points etc. Find top dead centre of number one piston and rotate the distributor until the rotor points in the general direction of the lead to number 1 cylinder.

Reply to
John in Oz

Thanks. I'll give that a try. Thought there would be more to it.

Reply to
flash harry

John in Oz is right, I would just treat it like a dizzy, with points, turn it until it starts,, turn it a bit more to get it running smooth, take it out and road test ,, turn it a bit more to stop the pinking, lock it up and that's it,, let us know the result Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

I did set it up by getting number one cylinder to top dead centre, then aiming the rotor in the direction of number one lead. I then took it for a run, stopped and advanced it a bit (clockwise), then drove a bit further and did the same again. I kept doing this until it started pinking then retarded it slightly until ther was no hesitation on acceleration. Seems good now. Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
flash harry

Great stuff Flash, Job satisfaction................you cant beat it, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy