mini/metro Auto box, help!

About a year ago me and a friend swapped the engine/box in his rover mini auto for metro van den plas auto setup (mg metro engine on an auto box).

It has just started giving him problems. When in any forward gear it acts as though the clutch is slipping and screeches a bit when prodding the loud pedal to hard. It is fine in reverse!?!

We have changed and checked the oil, which is about all haynes says can be done with the auto box lol.

Anyone had a problem like this - and even better, fixed it without taking the engine out!?

TIA

Chri$

Reply to
<$>

Hi, Unfortunately your clutches and possibly brake bands have worn. The box must come out and be stripped to cure this problem..It's not an easy job and some special tools are needed. I have rebuilt dozens of these auto boxes and if you want to do the job yourself, I would suggest you get hold of the official Rover/BMC workshop manual. Keith

Reply to
xx

If your going to pull the engine out, why not just drop a 1275 manual straight back in, could all be done in the same day, could save you a lot of money Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

*ding* That's what I recommended but it's his wifes car and that's what she wanted. No budging her this time either :o(

Chri$

Reply to
<$>

How about

Turbo Jo

Fitzy

If you are going to fit a manual box and engine in you will have to modify the nearside engine mountings; the subframe for the autos is wider at this point. keith

Reply to
xx

hey ho

back on topic

Reply to
Pedro

Would do the job... ...but thats 3 times what we paid for the 1.3 metro vanden plas auto and a fair few miles away!! We're on the lookout for a metro auto in the locals.

Chri$

Reply to
<$>

I have a manual box on the bench if I need to offer anything up, but that wont be happening. Auto all the way (sigh). I have heard the manual box fits the auto subframe but you have to redrill the engine mount holes. Bonus is that engine sits lower than it would in a manual subframe - so lower C of G. As if that really matters that much on the road though lol.

Thanks for your suggestions. It appears the 1,2 and 3rd clutch is gone - engine out job anyway. Top and reverse clutch is fine.

Will replace the whole engine/box assembly with another 1.3 auto.

Chri$

Reply to
<$>

Hi, That's by far your best bet, but make sure the box you put in is OK or you will be back in the same shi* again.

keith

Reply to
xx