Renault auto box

Hi all

I am the unfortunate owner of a M reg Espace 2.2 petrol with an auto box.

The original gear box failed at 67,000 miles ( not impressed ) and was replaced with an Renault rebuild ( cost a grand plus the fitting ). We now have 100,000 miles on the clock, the warning light on the auto box some times comes on after 2 miles, ( almost always at the same place on the way home ) and the gear box drops into third and stays there. ( even less impressed, do not buy a Renault ! )

Stop and restart, light goes out but not always, this is starting to happen more often, any advise welcome.

thanks peter

Reply to
peter

Lesson 1- Renault autos are an absolute nightmare. Period.

Lesson 2- Give King Automatics ('The Chalk Pit', College Road, Epsom, Surrey KT17 4JA, tel: 01372 728769) a ring. If he cant fix it, there isnt a cure.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Lesson 3. learn Lesson 4 off by heart, I shall never never buy a Renault ! especially an automatic !!!

Reply to
reg

See! I said Renaults are s**te ............ QED

Reply to
Angus McCoatup©

IMO nothing wrong with Renaults - we've had several in the family with no problems. In-laws still have a Safrane at 140,000 ish and a 19 dT at 155,000 both have only ever had routine maintenance.

Renault automatics gearboxes do indeed have a terrible reputation though. Someone once told me to avoid any auto Clio with more than 40,000 miles.

Reply to
Doctor D

They're expensive to fix when they go wrong... the Lagunas on our fleet did lead a hard life, but no harder than the Mondeos, and were _significantly_ more expensive to repair.

I recall having the injectors reconditioned on the RN 2.2, and that made my eyes water, even though it was company money.

Clio automobile? :)

Reply to
DervMan

Hi all

thanks for advice and comments so far

The box has apparently a hydraulic failure, which might be fixed by freeing off/ replacing the ball valves, this can be done by droping the sump off the gearbox

If it works i will let you know

thanks again peter

Reply to
peter

It's going into limp home mode, so likely an electrical issue if it corrects itself. Diagnostics might help, but my initial reaction would be to clean and re-grease all the connectors, given it's been replaced and they probably didn't bother.

Although I think Renault gearbox ECUs are also a bit suspect. Still, check the cheap things first.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)