Different engine / box

Hi all

I have a s3 2.5 na diesel. It will be coming off the road for a rebuild this winter. I have heard that you can fit an alternative engine and or box to get it to go more like a car for speed etc. Any wise ones out there reccomend a combo which will achieve this.

Regards

Paul

Reply to
Paul Tasker

Paul Tasker posted ...

Almost any engine you have can be made to fit .. I've seen everything up to Jag engined Landrovers .. ;)

A good engine combination is a Montego Turbo diesel .. lighter weight with more power and torque and greater efficiency.

Adaptor plates, for gearbox and engine mounts, may be needed for whatever engine you choose, and a search may find many suppliers of the things.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Yeah, a 4.9v8.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

fit a rover v-8 . the kits are easily available , also exhausts easy to obtain . the most important part is that you probably wont need an engineers report if using this engine because the vehicle will be a landrover v-8 as far as insurance is concerned .

any other make of engine other than used by landrover models will require an engineers report to be aquired , also insurance group will come under modified vehicle and probably carry the insurance group of the car that the engine came from . it is much simpler to go for a rover v-8 in first place and change the V5 engine details to a v-8 and then the insurance should come under landrover v-8 which was a standard vehicle manufactured by landrover .

other than that fit a 200tdi if you want diesel economy . plenty of people using this site have a lot of knowledge in v-8 rover fitment in series landrovers so youll get lots of help and advice of what to do and not what to do . good luck . ian

Reply to
M0bcg

On or around Fri, 28 May 2004 17:57:40 +0100, "Paul Tasker" enlightened us thusly:

V8 plus 4-speed auto out of a range rover... you know it makes sense... :-)

OK, you might have "fun" fitting it in a series, but it'd be a fine thing once done... You might want to look at fitting RR diffs as well.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Don't forget if you put a RR box in, you will have permanent 4WD, so will need to change the front axle to one with CV joints instead of hardy spicers like the series has. Either modify a RR/Defender axle to take leaves, or try and find a stage 1 axle.

Reply to
SimonJ

On or around Sat, 29 May 2004 12:20:44 +0000 (UTC), "SimonJ" enlightened us thusly:

oops, good point. I daresay it'd be reasonably easy to cut the spring mounts off a pair of series axles and off a pair of RR axles, and weld the series ones onto the RR axles, with a bit of skill and a welder. Then you could fit the RR axles, and get the diffs as well as the CVs.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I was going to do this on mine but the axles are about 150mm wider track so you may need to fit the wheel arch extensions dependent on the wheels fitted, mine come to the very edge of the wing and I can't fit the wheel arch extensions as the wheel arches have been cut so would need new wings and rear tub

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

now come on lads,

all this talk about v8`s is just plain silly at todays pump prices.

what we need is v8 preformance at mini costs.

aint gunna happen, what is it, 15 to the gallon!!!!

maybe a diesel would suit better,

hhhmmmm, let me think, ahhhh, got it,

diahatsu 2.8 turbo. just what the doctor orderd,

30+ to the gallon. 85+ top speed in mine and mines a non turbo.

( i`ll get my coat)

andy

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

On or around 31 May 2004 21:58:21 GMT, Andy enlightened us thusly:

LPG...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Too right, worked out fuel costs for this weekend just gone when we went away to Langdale. It cost me £72 to get from South Lincs to Scarborough, full day at Langdale, full day laning in the area and then home. Covered just a tad over 500 miles too.

Friend in the same group with a non LPG V8, £168......

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Vice Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid, now LPG converted Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, currently under restoration Suzuki SJ410 (Girlfriend's) 3" lift kit fitted, body shell now restored and mounted on chassis, waiting on a windscreen and MOT Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next 1993 200 TDi Discovery (the Pug 106 is dead, long live the Pug)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

great. but i bet it wont be long before Mr ( hhuuuuu that very nice man) chancellor starts squeezing duty up on lpg, and to keep us stupid little people happy and content he`ll drop some duty on petrol.

all he has to do is stick 3p on a litre wait 2-3 weeks then drop it by a penny and we all get the satisfaction that we`ve won, and he gets his 2p.

why are the british people guttless? why do we take whatever shit is dealt us.

time to stand and be counted me thinks.

id be the first in the que on the forthcoming "go slow" parades that are planned, but, unfortunatley i can only afford fuel for essential journeys.