Auto box repair

Regarding the earlier messages about auto box repairs.

My mate has a ex riot van LDV with a Rover V8 uprated a piper cam which is fitted with a ZFHP22 autobox. The box packed up in France such that he had only first gear, so he had a long and very slow drive home. At my reccommendation he spoke with a guy in Swansea and after "consultation" the box was removed and taken for repair.

Its come back fully restored, with a new Govenor , a new torque coverter, a better ( read larger) oilcooler and a bill for £780. The vehicle apparently now drives better and shifts better .

Other posters have alluded to that being a cheap price and inferring that its probably an old box steam cleaned up and so forth. My mate insists that he's not that stupid and says that such practices may be common in London , but in Swansea would result in you losing your knee caps or similar ( have you seen the film "twin town") and says he's very pleased.

If anyones interested the company is "Mike Tucker Autos" in Manselton Swansea. A look at Yell will soon find you a number. Oh and its close to the M4 too. Steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

If I remember the first post on the subject, 500 quid was quoted - not near 800.

I said that IMHO 500 quid wouldn't buy a properly reconditioned box, but might pay for fitting a secondhand one. And that some companies do just this without being honest about it.

Oh - and 'quoting' 500 quid but charging 800 is common too...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Good to hear there are honest repair men around who know what they're doing, especially with auto boxes.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.