Aaargh Samba's - part 2

I've been off the web for a few days due to a new PC - thanks Vista.

Since then ...

- no response from the seller of the Samba. So he's had a neg and a report to VOSA. I've also not received the V5 so I a) feel like driving through lots of speed cameras or b) contacting the DVLA.

- The Samba's broken down. The oil light came on and it looks like a) an oil pump or b) head gasket.

So I now need an oil pump for a Peugoet TU type 1.4 engine.

On the good side I've done about 1500 trouble-free miles before this, mostly with the top down. I've also managed to source most of the brake/suspension parts very cheaply, so the repairs are looking more positive.

So long as the engine's OK.

And if it isn't - would a 1.6/1.9 from a 205 GTi fit? Particularly as the chassis is the same.

David

Reply to
David Lane

Assuming it does...... then surely an Mi-16 would be the way forward. On carbs.

It would be the biggest laugh you've ever had, too.

Reply to
SteveH

I suspect the chassis would need quite a bit of strengthening work TBH for anything more than the 1.6...

Reply to
Iridium

Probably, being a convertible. It already wobbles. But then it'd be fun.

David

Reply to
David Lane

That's the trouble with kids today. No sense of adventure ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

True. I'm waiting until it's looked at on Thursday to make the decision.

The brakes are proving cheaper to do than I thought (about £150 for the whole lot of calipers, discs, pads, hoses and shoes) plus I've picked up some front shock absorbers for £20 rather than the £300 I was quoted. So it's looking better.

Any ideas on the cost of an Mi-16 engine? (I was thinking of this)

David

Reply to
David Lane

Fuck-all - if you find a written off, or MOT fail 405 Mi-16, it'll be worth under £100. Buy the car, rip out engine and box, then weigh it in.

Reply to
SteveH

A written off / MOT fail 405 Mi-16 isn't an easy thing to buy for under a ton. The engine alone is very sought after.

Reply to
Pete M

Maybe.

Last bare engine sold for £250 on ebay.

Engines still in cars tend to fetch less.

You may well be right, but I'm sure something could be found for not a lot of cash.

Reply to
SteveH

thing about the 405 is if you buy the complete car you get the brain, the gearbox and lots of other goodies that weren't exactly thick on the ground. You've also got the Mi-16 owners who tend to buy them for things like the rear suspension spheres / pump etc so they fetch good money.

Quite a few have nice interiors as well, most have decent alloys.

Reply to
Pete M

Heh, good luck! The 205 boys love to get their hands on a complete car! The main reason BX 16v prices have been pushed up so much - a Pugger will pay £300 for a shagged car as long as the engine works!

Besides it's the wrong family of engine for the Samba

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

It would probably fit, but it wouldn't mate up to anything in there at the moment. Mi16 and the 205/309 GTi engines are from the XU family.

Ideal engine tranplant would be a 106GTi engine (or Saxo VTS) - 120bhp of

16v reviness. Or if you could find one the 1.3 Rallye engine - 100bhp and even more reviness.

What engine is in it at the mo then? A 60bhp 1.4 TU at a guess? If so then a slightly more common and cheaper upgrade might be a 106 1.4 MPi engine (100bhp) or if you can't be arsed with wiring in EFI then a 85bhp 205 XS engine. Plenty of options out there!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Currently a 72bhp 1360cc TU (single carb), although I've looked at how easy it is to fit the twin-carb setup giving 80bhp

A bit less power than I would probably be hoping for.

The issue may be with the fact that the gearbox is in the sump in a TU engine, which made me wonder if a complete transplant was possible.

David

Reply to
David Lane

The 106 GTi engine would be huge amounts of fun. More power than that and you'd need to consider lots of strengthening I'd imagine. But.....

That's not a TU engine then. That's the old XY (?) engine as fitted to the early 205s. In that case I'm not sure a TU engine would fit straight in as I assume all the mounts would be different, an as you say the gearbox is in the sump. The 80bhp 205 XS engine/carbs is probably the best bolt in replacement AFAIK.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

You don't need the brain etc.; run it on '45's or '48's and use an aftermarket ignition...

Reply to
Abo

*surely* there must be plenty of crashed VTSs out there? :)
Reply to
Abo

True, but there are still people who prefer to use the brain, or can't afford the Webers.

Reply to
Pete M

I dunno, all the chavs round here have the VTRs! Couldn't afford the VTSs I'd assume

Reply to
Carl Gibbs