Nice find...

Take one barn that's been welded shut and left for 15 years.

Cut open:

Carl Gibbs

looks like a hellavu amount of ruined paintwork thanks to bird strikes :)

Reply to
Rob

thats one hell of a great find :-) thank you for shearing them with us.

Reply to
banjo

Just define "great find".

The cars are all older than 15 years, some are the double or triple. They stond there for the claimed 15 years and are now worth close to nothing. I don't see any car which will not need a restauration of around 20 kUPd (and that's an optimistic number)

Crying shame because when the cars went in some minor protection would have cost close to nothing and should have preserved them like a time capsule.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

What you don't know is whether that happened before they went in.

David

Reply to
David Lane

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@news.telenet.be...

Regardless, I'd still love to discover a collection like that.

Looks like a real find to me.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk says... >

Whenever you are in Brussels, just visit -if he allows you because it is strictly private not a museum-:

Carrosserie Vanderveken SA Roodebeeksteenweg 19-25

1200 Sint-Lambrechts-Woluwe.

The man is a "carrosier", meaning he repairs cars after accidents. He employs 40-60 people. His company exists now for about 40 years.

Whenever he had men with spare time, he let them restoring cars. Strangely enough he never sold the restored cars. Restoring is ment here in the meaning of spanking new. His building is about 6 floors high and it ressembles the barn find (on every floor) with the exception that every car -for 1920, racecars (Lemans, rallye,etc)- are in showroomcondition.

You have money burning a hole in your pocket and want a Bugatti or Talbot Lago which will start first time? Or a Renault Alpine Berlinette, ready to take on Monte-Carlo? A Maserati racer? Vanderveken is the man you have to see.

He won't sell his cars. But if you are genuine and hand him enough money, he will give you one.

Tom De Moor

PS I searched for a website but Guy is so modern that computers seem just too new-age for him.

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Yup.

They don't look *that* bad, to be honest.

They're certainly pretty much rot free, I'm sure a lot of 'em would be relatively simple to get back on the road.

Reply to
SteveH

Of course you're sure.

Just as info: how many pre-1970 cars, which stood for the last 2 decades, have you ever managed to get back on the road? Do you have the slightiest idea what is involved?

For those who never do it -and most likely never will do it- everything is simple.

Out of multiple experience: every car in that barn needs a minimum of

1000 Hrs work and 5 kUPD in parts while some need a lot more of both. These figures render most of the cars in that barn close to worthless.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor