05 Gas Filling

Does anyone else have this problem with an 05 Mustang gas tank. Whenever I get gas, it takes forever as the pump keeps cutting off like the tank is full. Is it must me or does anyone else have this problem.

Thanks for any light on this,

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Try pulling the fuel nozzle out an inch or so. Don't jam it all the way in.

mort

Reply to
Mort Guffman

I have the same problem with the gas tank on my '05. Doing as Mort suggests usually does not work for me. I have found myself having to leave a gas station after having spent several minutes at the pump without even a filling full gallon. This is very frustrating and now there are a few local stations that I just don't go to anymore, even though they are more convenient.

If other people are having this problem too, could it be some type of venting problem? Could there be some sort of modification made to the tank to fix it?

Thanks.

--Bryan

Reply to
bryanbug

From BlueOval:

18 March 2005 Robert Lane

Dearborn, Michigan. You pull up to the fuel pump at the local gas station and begin fueling your 2005 Ford Mustang, however, it fills very slowly. The condition may be described as, repeated fuel pump shutoffs when filling the fuel tank. According to Ford, should this condition occur, the fuel tank needs to be replaced.

While Ford has told dealers to replace the fuel tanks, the dealer will only replace the fuel tanks upon customer request. Further, Ford will not notify owners of 2005 Ford Mustangs of this condition.

Your Ford or Lincoln-Mercury dealer will install fuel tank part number "5R3Z-9002-AA" under provisions of the new vehicle warranty and the Federal emissions warranty.

For more information, contact Ford at:

1-800-423-8851 or 1-800-325-5621 or
for the Ford directory.
Reply to
Jafo

There is a TSB or service message as Robert Lane posted on BON. A friend has had it performed however and it was no help. Now the directive from Ford (or dealer) to him is to wait until the tank is below 1/4 full before you try to top it off. Something to do with the design of the tank, placing it in the center of the car, a tranfer pump than runs only part time, etc. I was trying this and I haven't heard the results.

Reply to
HerkyJerky

Take it to the dealer. Ford put out a bulletin on this, and the dealer will replace the tank if you complain. I've got a new tank in mine and the problem's gone.

Reply to
John H.