68 ford mustang gt with a 289

having trouble trying to get my sons stang going. we have replaced the starter, had the carb rebuilt, new wires cap and rotor, it cranks over and wants to start but doesn't. can anyone give me a direction to go to get it going thanks

Reply to
<abondegas

Not much to go on but it's always fuel or spark.

On a carbed car, do you smell gas? Is it flooding? My carbed 1980 Bronco does this from time to time if I pump it before I turn it over. Try holding open the butterfly manually and see if it starts. Bet it might.

Or, is it not getting fuel? The fuel pump is cheap and easy to change on a

289 - had one of those go too and same symptoms.

I know, not much help, but just a thought.

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

wrote in news:6khoh.60755$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net:

First of all, learn how to post to Usenet. Posting HTML is a no-no, since most newsreaders can't handle it. Usenet is a text only medium. Take a look at the quoted material above to see what a mess you posted.

Secondly, there was no 289 in 1968. It's a 302.

If the engine is trying to kick off but won't, it could be the timing. Try rotating the distributor back and forth while crankiing it.

Reply to
elaich

Pour an ounce of gas down the carb and see if it starts. If so, your problem is a gas delivery problem. Probably pump or clogged filter

Are timing and points ok?

Reply to
vince garcia

Are you sure you've got spark? Make sure of that first. Is it getting fuel ok? I don't mean the carb, I mean everything behind it.

Double check that you've got the wires right. Also make sure you're not

180 degrees off on the distributor. What is your initial timing set at? It should be 6 degrees BTDC, if stock. Check the initial and full-out timing specs.

Are you using points? Are they new? Check the dwell and set it to 24 degrees. The distance from the points to the cam should be about

0.16-0.18 inches, IIRC; the specs are readily available from Google. Use a feeler gauge, and take your time, it is a fussy adjustment on early Ford distributors. Better yet, dump the points, and spend $70 on a Pertronix Ignitor. They are available at many chain outlets, and not only does the car start more easily, it gets 1-2 mpg and a few hp because of better combustion. Best performance $ I've put into my '67 besides the front disc brake conversion (consider that too!).

You may also want to try cranking it after with a small shot or two of starting fluid, to help it catch... then give it a few pumps, rather than flooding it, which we too easily do when we want the damned thing to start.

Good luck

Reply to
Jason O

not that it matters but:

The previously optional 289 c.i. 225hp V-8 was replaced by a 302 c.i. version rated at 230 hp. Increased displacement was achieved by increasing the stroke of the 289 from 2.87 inches to 3.00 inches. The 2 barrel carburetor 289 (rated at 195 hp for 1968) was replaced mid-year by a 2 barrel 302 rated at 210 hp. Thus both 289 and 302 V-8 powered Mustangs were available in 1968.

1968 C code 289 2v F code 302 2v J code 302 4v
Reply to
DRAGNET