84 SVO leather headliner

I realize this is pretty obscure but here goes. A friend of mine has an 84 SVO with black leather interior/headliner which has been coming down for awhile but not ripped. The local apolstery legend has told her that if he fixes it , it wont last very long, also to replace it he says he cant find the exact matching material. She suspects hes just trying to get rid of his current stock of material.

Anyone know if theres kits available for it? Or ever dealt with this situation? All I know about headliners is that I never want to try installing one.

Thanks,

Reply to
faust_151

If it's anything like my '83's headliner, it is separating because the foam padding is failing. You end up with one thin layer of foam on the fabric, and one on the cardboard backer. I've also been told that to repair it is nigh on impossible; you have to scrape all the old foam off both surfaces without damaging either in order to have any hope of an adhesive sticking and holding for very long. Maybe it's easier with leather than with vinyl...

(I haven't had mine repaired yet; this is one of several reasons why my V6stang has been parked for a good long while)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

I redid the headliner on my '86... It was vinyl, but hanging down all over. I got some cloth velour material from one of the mustang places. A little bit of a PITA to get the old foam off, but now that it's in it looks better than new. I like the velour better than the vinyl. A decent upholstery place should be able to get you the right leather pattern. Biggest issue is the backer board, be careful with it. Use a wire wheel and a light touch to get the old foam off. A little 3M adhesive spray, and lay the material on. Use a roller over it to make sure it gets a good bond. Leave plenty of extra material around the edges, trim after you get it in place. Took me an afternoon, and I had a sunroof to contend with. mkl

Reply to
Mike Lenker

My dad just had to get his headliner replaced.... the summer heat around here causes them to delaminate fast. Not sure but I think his came from JC Whitney (not my first choice, but ya gotta do whatcha gotta do.\).

Reply to
Spike