Here goes nuthin'!

As I type, the ATF is draining from my Supra. Cross your fingers...

So, do I drop the pan and check the screen, or...

Wait until it goes on a lift?

Reply to
hachiroku

Go for it Hachi! Get out the air ratchet and get the pan off! You may find some "mystery metal".

Reply to
user

Decided to do it. WHY?!?! What a PITA!

Caveat...everything looks clean. The filter is dirty, and I don't have a new one, but Toyota uses screens, so cleaning it shouldn't be tough.

There is something on the screen, I'm grabbing a magnet right now!

Reply to
hachiroku

Actually, Hachi, have you ever driven a Supra with a stick ? Drive one once and you may never be satisfied with your slushbucket tranny again. I drove such a car a few years ago (a late 80s that had had its engine rebuilt) from Manhattan out to Long Island...way out...and the only slight problem I had was to keep my speed down to stay with traffic. It was like a spirited horse, champing at the bit, and the most fun 15-20 year old vehicle I've ever driven. I'd love to buy it myself if our friends, the owners, ever tire of it.

Reply to
mack

There should be 2 or 3 magnets stuck to the bottom of the transmission pan.

Reply to
Ray O

LOL! You haven't been following my saga over the 2.5 years I've owned the car!

I got it for $600 with a broken timing belt. $300 in parts and labor later I had a running Supra.

I immediately joined a Supra group and asked how to swap the tranny. A number of them there and a number of people here said the same thing:

Sell it and buy a 5-speed!

It's really not that tough, I found a tranny, and a driveshaft and flywheel etc, etc. Just got to round the stuff up...if I ever get around to it...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Four, but who's counting? ;)

No metal pieces on the magents, but in the process of trying to clean the screen, a couple of metal shavings (1/16" or smaller) fell out of the screen. I called AutoZone and they had on for $15, screen, not paper (on the recommendation from my local Toy garage, he said, "If it has a screen, buy it. If it doesn't, don't!"

See next thread...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I must admit that I have not followed the Supra Saga....although I empathize with your current troubles with trying to get the auto trans to quit spraying fluid over the countryside! Good luck with it ! And sooner or later, you will succeed in replacing it with the stick! Good going.

Reply to
mack

LOL! I'm always looking for parts. I found a 5-speed about 80 miles away, but just haven't gone to pick it up. Found the shaft and flywheel much closer, but I have other fish to fry right now!

Reply to
Hachiroku