97 GT problem

Here is the problem. Blew top radiator hose the other day, replaced it and all was well then the radiator started leaking. Put Barsleak in it and it sealed ok. Today the Bars let loose (I hate that shit but my gf was told by one of the "knowledgeable" people at Kragen that its the best. I put in alumaseal today and all is well with that but now its overheating like mad. No water in oil, no oil in water, no moisture or anything coming out of the exhaust except whets supposed to. When the car overheated today the gauge didn't say it was that hot but I got a lot of predetonation. cool the car down and the gauge shows normal temp for car but drive it a couple blocks and it goes up a little and the ping starts again. Any help/hints/suggestions? I already ordered another radiator and will have it Tuesday. Also the thermostat seems to be working, top hose is hot and not a lot of pressure and I actually saw it compress when the thermostat opened up (was low on water at that point). I think I have all pertinent info here. Anything I missed ask away

Gumby619

'97 GT vert

Reply to
Gumby619

1) Some of that stop leak stuff is known to clog passages, heater cores, etc. 2) Best to replace the radiator and try to flush the system clean of the the stop leak products while doing it. 3) Is detonation the only reason you think it's overheating? If so, it's not likely overheating. Your driver's side spark plug wells are probably flooded with coolant shorting the plugs. Check them all on both sides since the hose actually blew out. If you find them flooded the detonation problem should go away when cleaned up.
Reply to
Brent P

I let it cool down for an hour and added water, it took 2 gallons. when I got on the freeway it started to heat up then the thermostat opened and it dropped to normal. I drove it about 10 miles and it was actually running cooler than normal, I stopped for about 10 minutes and it started heating up, I drove it thinking it would cool down at speed but alas, no luck. The radiator is still leaking a little so I'm ordering a new one tomorrow morning. The predetonation went away till it got hot again. I'm thinking I may need a new sending unit for the temp gauge too. Its only what, a 10 dollar part? Will post Tuesday with results from new radiator (takes a day for shipping)

Gumby619

'97 GT vert

Reply to
Gumby619

Are the electric fans kicking on? Sounds like that could be the (or part of the) problem.

Reply to
G Unit

Fans working fine

Reply to
Gumby619

Your radiator is probably not holding enough pressure and thusly the behavior you are seeing.

Check the spark plug wells... it only takes a few minutes. The coolant gets trapped in there by the spark plug boots. It may only make it to the contacts when the engine warm. It doesn't hurt to pull the boots off and see, unless they are in such bad shape/corroded that they rip apart, in which case you need to replace them anyway ;)

Reply to
Brent P

Reply to
Scot Paxton