Camaro, Firebird are dead, dead, dead

According to GM's Bob Lutz. They are not coming back.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard

Hallelujah! ;-)

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

Those LS1's got some serious neck snapping acceleration for the camaros and firebirds though... Make a stock GT seem somewhat girlish...

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta

Damn.... that sucks. I always liked 'em. =( As somebody said before, we need more american muscle.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I just hope that there are always a few small 4-seater super hotrods available. 2-seaters suck in my opinion, at least for practical daily use. I'd love a Corvette, but I can't justify spending that kind of dough for a car that can only hold one passenger... severely limits the use of the car. This is truly a rich man's toy. May as well just get a motorcycle for 1/5th the price, and the bike will be much faster too. Mustangs are perfect...

4-seats (very small seats yes, but at least you can get 4 people in if you need to), but still a very sporty excellent handling car. And in terms of convertibles... what other 4-seater hotrod convertibles are available now, other than expensive German ones? As for GM... at least they put out the GTO... a 4-seater hotrod (no convertible though)... sure, it doesn't look so great, but at least it's something. I hope GM will offer something else soon that is similar to the Mustang, 4-seats, convertible option, high-power, just so we have a choice. I think I may be a Mustang man forever anyway, but it's nice to have choices. What about Chysler? They have that new Magnum, huge Hemi V8 station wagon... very cool, but not really a sports/race type car... too big for that. Wish Chrysler would bring back the "Challenger" or "Barracuda"... a small 4-seater hotrod with a 5.9 V8, in convertible or hardtop. Who knows, in a few years, if fuel isn't $5.00/gallon by then, we may see a lot of new good small 4-seater hotrods. I hope so.
Reply to
WideGlide

I think it's bad, hell... i don'e want EVERYONE driving a Mustang, then it's no fun.

Reply to
SVTKate

I *think* I just saw a Chrysler commercial with a 4-seater convertible with a somewhat large engine but my memory of this commercial is not clear.

Reply to
Scotter

Yeah, I know, I just don't wanna be reminded of how slow my '96 is. ;-) And besides, I think Chevy's are ugly!

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

A 'Cuda (performance Barracuda) and the Challenger brought back and given the 5.9 Litre Hemi would be devastating, particularly since the current GT Mustang is almost as heavy as the 1970s Chryslers. Besides, the Cuda and Challenger were arguably the most beautiful muscle cars ever built. But, instead, Chrysler puts the Hemi in a truck (hicks rejoice, just LOOK at the people those Hemi ads target as customers and this was borne out by the freaks I saw gravitating around the Chrysler trucks at the Toronto Auto Show), a dog-ugly, lumbering 300 sedan with a grill that looks like a Bentley with AIDS, and a freakish station-wagon thingy that NO ONE will pay $40,000 for.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard

Rich,

Where did you read this? What's the source? I have to read it to believe it.

Personally, I think (trying to put pieces of info together) GM is already planning a new Camaro.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

On 2 Mar 2004 19:04:37 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote something wonderfully witty:

Let's just hope it isn't the Billy Bob trailer-trash model it had become prior to it's demise. It really did end being low-rent in the design department towards the end there.

I would love to see them do a retro `67 Camaro complete with vent windows. That would be way sweet. I have been told I am not allowed to use a broadsword to disprove ?The Pen is Mightier than the sword?.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

It was a business magazine, I was just browsing it and they had an automotive industry section. However, GM could be playing games, not letting on.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard

Man, I thought I was the only one who thought that. pfew.

Mightier than the sword?.

Rein

Couldn't agree more; however, I think there is enough hype in the imports to keep things from getting too cluttered. Only problem is, the Mustang is one of the only remaining good old American muscle cars left. If that's what you're after, there's not much else to look for now :-S.

Sean

Reply to
Fao, Sean

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 10:56:26 -0500, "Fao, Sean" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Other then the new Goat I can't manage to come up with any other rear-wheeled American Pony cars. On top of that the Goat isn't really American anyhow. The only other rear-wheeled american sporting automobile would be the Vette. It simply is in a class apart from a Mustang anyways. Although I think the next SVT might just give it a run for it's money. I have been told I am not allowed to use a broadsword to disprove ?The Pen is Mightier than the sword?.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Mightier than the sword?.

The Goat really isn't American. It's an Australian import.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

is Mightier than the sword?.

Some info on the Holden product.

Richard

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote

is Mightier than the sword?.

I have a hard time classifying the GTO as a ponycar. But it's just as American as the made-in-Canada Cambirds ever were. At the same time it's LESS American than the Honda Civic, various Nissans, the M-B SUV, etc.

Seems to me we're missing a couple other made-in-USA sporting reardrivers: the Viper, the Ford GT, the Caddy CTS-V, the Shelby Series II (or is that one dead and gone?), the various turnkey Cobra clones, the Saleen S7, the Panozes. Anything else? But if the class is AFFORDABLE sporting reardrivers, it's true, the standard Vette, the GTO, and the Stang are it.

On the other hand, most sedans these days will blow the doors off 95% of the old school muscle cars. 250 NET, low-emissions, high mileage hp is getting to be the price of entry. Hardly the time to declare the death of performance cars.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

Mightier than the sword?.

Overall it's hard to find much to complain about regarding the hp available in most cars today. Sub 7 second 0-60 mph times are becoming the norm for cars and sub 6 second times are fairly common. Hell, our Taurus has 200 hp and has a decent pull to red line. More than adequate for its intended purpose.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (180 Out) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Good point. These days almost every car/truck has components made from different countries, not to mention where the whole thing is finally assembled.

The FWD tuners have taken a big part of that market. Evos, Subies, and SRT-4s are becoming more plentiful.

This is a good thing. There are lots of choices right now, and there are more to come.

Joe