Can anyone explain this wierd behavior??? (Unable to fill tank)

2006 GT Convertible...

I take a long trip and I drive 310 miles...

I stop at a gas station and the car will not accept more than 5 gallons of gas... (Auto shutoff keeps kicking the pump off after 5 gallons..) After trying to put more fuel in the tank several times, I give up.. The gauge only reads between 1/4 and 1/2 full...

24/36 hours later, I stop at a different pump and am able to put 7 gallons in the tank before the auto-shutoff keeps kicking the pump off and I am unable to put more fuel in the tank..and there is gas splashing back.. (like when the tank is actually full and you try to top it off..) The gauge reads 3/4 full at that point...

Confused, and at a loss to explain it...

P.S. I have been 'drug-free' since the early 80's.. and haven't suffered any acid flashbacks recently... :-)

Reply to
tony

Known issue... although I'm surprised it's showing up on an 06... thought it was fixed before the 06's were out... anyways... there is a TSB out for slow fills like you describe. Don't remember the number of it off hand. Dealership should be able to pull it up for you and fix your problem... In the mean time you can try rotating the nozzle 180 degrees... sometimes I found rotating it 90 degrees worked too...

Reply to
John S.

John:

Thanks...

Reply to
tony

--snipped for brevity...

Found the TSB 06-3-13

Basically, I am out of luck.. The TSB recomends replacement of the fuel tank with a re-designed one on cars built before 4-26-2005 and will cover under warranty.. Cars built after or all 2006s already have the 'new' tank and will not be covered. The recommendation is basically use a different gas station..

Reply to
tony

hmmm... that sucks.... I did find some gas stations were worse than others... if you really can't get your dealership to try another tank, try the rotating trick... not the answer you were looking for but at least it won't take you an hour to fill up your car...

Reply to
John S.

I long for the days of leaded gas that you use to siphon by mouth.. and gas tanks that were simply a container in your vehicle to hold the fuel with a stamped metal cap hidden behind your license plate... No vent, no vapor recovery... You could look straight into the tank and see the fuel sloshing around... We all happily filled the tanks at $.30 /gallon and breathed in those wonderful lead laden vapors as we had our Marlboros hanging from our our mouths and a beer waiting for us in the car..

As we fueled, we left the huge v-8s running spewing all kinds of non-emission controlled pollutants in our faces.. We were happy to get 10 miles per gallon....

Seatbelts were simply a strap to hold the body in the car so the ambulance drivers didn't have to look too long for the bodies.. and there was a ton of hard metal objects mounted everywhere on the interior and exterior of the vehicle waiting to impale you upon the slightest impact...

The good old days..

:-)

Reply to
tony

DITTO!

Also setting the detent so the nozzle lets less gas through, if possible.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Tony, if you're in a state where they have those collars on the pump nozzle, pull it back so that it doesn't make a seal against the filler neck and pressure cannot build up underneath it, It should solve your problem.

Kate

Reply to
Kate