Helping son replace seat

Hope someone can help.

My son saved enough cash to buy a 1998 6-cylinder Mustang. The front driver's seat has just broken. It now has only one position -- laid all the way back.

I called my usual mechanic and he told me it would be cheapest for me to find a seat at a wrecking yard and install it ourselves. Since we're lacking a bit in mechanical know-how, is this something that is easy to do? It's a manual power seat, if that helps.

Are there any books or websites that would show how to do this?

Tina

Reply to
redwoodcoast

From what I know there are just 4 bolts and that is it.

Reply to
Jeff H

Four bolts. On that year the heads should be inside the car, at least the two rear ones under plastic covers. Two tracks running fore and aft, bolts on each end of each track holding the seat to the floor.

If it's a power seat there will be a couple elecrical plugs to disconnect once the seat is unbolted.

Reply to
Brent P

Jeff, Brent, thank you both for the help. That does sound "do-able!"

Tina

Reply to
redwoodcoast

HI Tina! As a mom, I want to do something for you.

I owned a 95 GT then a 98 Cobra, loved them but no longer have either. I have the Ford service tech on CD and will be more than happy to mail it to you if you'll give me an address.

Now, I realize that you may be hesitant, you don't know me from Adam, but if you ask in the Group, seriously, they'll vouch that Im a kook, but not a nut :)

Just one mom, trying to help another.

Tell your son, I said GOOD JOB!!!

Kate

Oh, swapping the seats is not hard. 4 bolts and a wiring plug underneath. You must be very careful when taking it out or you can scratch the door panels with the seat mounting hardware.

I sent a reply to your address with my email address on it.

Reply to
Kate

I heard Kate was a serial killer of single moms.

Just joking, Kate, that's nice of you to help! That's the kind of thing that makes me happy to be an American! Dave

Reply to
nospam

She related to a mustang killer though!

Dave

underneath.

Reply to
Deputy Dog

C'mere so I can whack you ... lil brat!

K.

*grin*
Reply to
Kate

Hey! I found that there Mustang killer under a cabbage leaf! She in turn, hatched a future car killer methinks...

She was nonspecific in her victims though, she killed a GEO, a Honda, the Mustang, two Dodges, a Fiesta, a Camaro a Toyota and I think her last victim was another Honda. The body count continues to grow. Not all of them were wrecked, but as far as I know all but one had been crunched in one way or another. But DANG - she sure is a purty thing!

Wow, writing it out like that gave me the heebie jeebies!

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Do I recall correctly that there is a difference between the seats in a coupe vs a 'vert? And if so, should this be pointed out so she doesn't get the wrong seats?

Reply to
veegerNO SPAM

Not in the front only in the rear.

How ya been Spikie?

Reply to
Kate

Hey, all, I'm picking up a seat this afternoon from the local "wrecking yard." They claim it's in nice condition -- $125.

If we run into any problems we'll probably be back begging for help sometime tommorrow.

Thanks, again. Oh, and I've exchanged a couple of e-mails with axe-killer Kate. She seems pretty normal, but she did make a big point that she needed to know what type of door locks we had before she could help with the mustang seat installation.

At first I thought she meant door locks on the car, but she said no, door locks on our house....curious.... tina

Reply to
redwoodcoast

Reply to
veegerNO SPAM

Got good and stuck a week or so ago...

to walk out, hitch a ride and go get the truck. He was sittin on his belly pans with all four wheels throwing mud. Got the hardwood in the small guest room and the living room, it's looking pretty good. We're putting it all back together (new baseboards, a fresh coat of paint and so on. Soon we can get started on the travartine in the kitchen/dining area.

Sorry to hear your rear end went out.

*snikker*

Hubby has been gimpy too, maybe HIS posi needs a rebuild!

K.

Reply to
Kate

wrote

DRAT! Moose and Squirrel must have ratted me out again!

Hope your repair went well Tina!

Kate

Reply to
Kate

That's what wenches.... errrr.... winches are for :0)

When ya gonna start digging the bomb shelter tunnels? I want to do the dining room and maybe living room in hardwood. I'm thinking ceramic tile in the kitchen in place of the vinyl. My neighbor did his garage floor an black and white checkerboard to park his Viper or his wife's Hummer on.... thinking it looked pretty sharp..... :0)

Me too, but the doc likes the fact I pay my bills on time. ;0)

Might not be the posi... could be just the suspension. :0) (hey there Hubster!)

Reply to
veegerNO SPAM

Original poster here again. Thanks to you all for the help. We got it done! And it really was a fairly simple operation as you all pointed out.

Only one problem - and that was due to my error. I thought it was a manual seat we were replacing, so that's what I got at the wrecking yard. But, as my son pushed the power lever to move the broken seat to access the front bolts, I gulped in surprise.

Anyway, the manual seat fit fine and works fine. Lucky thing I didn't make the error in the other direction by trying to replace a manual seat with a power seat. Thanks again, all!

tina

Reply to
redwoodcoast

Well now... have you looked to see if you can exchange the aprts that make it a power seat over onto the manual seat?

Many MANY parts are interchangable!

Kate

Reply to
Kate

And some parts of a pine tree are edible too....

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Trying to remember from when I took apart my power seat... I think it could be done. I believe the difference would be just in the 'undercarriage' portion of the seat. Although I don't know about talking newbies through it via a newsgroup.

Reply to
Brent P