2004 Tacoma Slow to Fill Gas Tank

All of a sudden, puttting gas in my Tacoma has become a slow process. I have to hold the fuel nozzle up and almost out of the filler neck and trickle the gas into the tank or the fuel will back up and shut off the fuel nozzle. The tank acts like it is full or has an obstruction. It can take 15 minutes or more to fill from empty. I have removed the neck and found nothing obstructing the tank.Does anyone know what would cause this?

Reply to
spunky1

Mine was wrecked last Winter and a new bed put on. Now sometimes it overflows a bit when the automatic filler shuts off. The dealer who did the work couldn't find anything wrong. I' ll be watching replies to your post.

Reply to
Butzmark

Is it possible some kids put something down the neck? Sometimes there is a breather on the side of the neck towards the top

Reply to
rb

On 17 Sep 2006 03:33:50 -0700, "spunky1" found these unused words floating about:

I don't know about "All of a sudden", but my 2002 had a recall to add a 'protective device' because the filler was likely to be damaged in a wreck. from that time on it would fill 90%, then shut off, I too have to raise the filler nozzle almost out of the restrictor and turn it 45* counterclockwise to get the rest of the fill. When you desert crawl, you want a properly -=filled=- tank, not 90%!

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

I am about to get that recall work done. After you raise the nozzle, does the auto-stop thing still work correctly?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

After I raise the nozzle the nozzle works properly although if I fill at a pace of more than a trickle the fuel will fill the neck and spill onto the side of my truck.

Reply to
spunky1

I was suspicious of someone putting something down the neck also. I removed the top half of the neck and there was nothing in it.I have not removed the lower section that goes into the tank at this time. My truck does have a breather tube towards the top of the neck. What would happen if the breather was obstructed?

Thanks.

Reply to
spunky1

Sounds like the recall fix was a stupid one.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 18:45:30 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom" found these unused words floating about:

I'd hav liked it to be as before, but OTOH, having the bed rip open the fuel system ...!

The only time it bothers me is in Oregon, I never can get the attendants (manditory there!) to fully fill the tank.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

On 17 Sep 2006 11:42:09 -0700, "spunky1" found these unused words floating about:

It would reduce the air displacement from the top of the tank and slow filling, I would believe.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien