Car failed to start a week after a TFI replacement

Hello again folks, today my car failed to start. When I turned on the ignition, nothing happened except the tachometer needle going nuts. I made a quick inspection an the positive terminal and cable in the battery was really hot.

After waiting a few minutes and turned on the light to made sure it wasn't the battery, the car started (with the lights on) when I got home I turn it on and off a few times with the lights off to made sure there's no short with the light switch and it was all ok.

My question is...

What happened that the car didn't start? Is it possible that the "new" TFI is giving me problems?

The engine is hunted and only fails at public places so I have to pay to bring the car back home?

P.S. I am not superstitious but I am starting to get scared of Wednesdays.

--

88' Mustang LX Convertible 2.3L
Reply to

I forgot to add, I noticed that the clock was reset when I got back home. It read 0: 9 minutes, like it was reset 9 minutes ago, I didn't desconnect the negative cable in the battery or anything that could have reset the clock.

Is it possible that the battery is in short? There are no error codes present in the computer, no check engine lights and the battery gauge looks fine.

--

88' Mustang LX Convertible 2.3L
Reply to
Pepito

What kind of shape are the battery connections in?? Three important things for battery connections (or for any connections, for that matter) CLEAN, TIGHT, SHINY... in no particular order.

Just so I'm clear on the subject.... "goog enough" usually ain't.

Reply to
Jim Warman

There's only two ways for this cable to be hot. One is a massive current discharge. But, what goes out must go in, so the negative terminal should also be hot. Also, whatever was causing or drawing that discharge probably would have let a bunch of smoke out. The other, more likely cause, is a high resistance connection on the positive terminal. A high resistance connection will develop a tremendous amount of heat in a localized spot. Of course, this heat will spread down a cable. It will also drop a lot of voltage, which could very easily reset your clock.

Reply to
Jimz466

"Jim Warman" wrote

CLEAN, | TIGHT, SHINY... in no particular order.

Ohhhhh Baby! O love it when you talk like that!

Kate

| > > Hello again folks, today my car failed to start. When I turned on the | > > ignition, nothing happened except the tachometer needle going nuts | > > (like the backyard mechanic told me a week ago). I made a quick | > > inspection an the positive terminal and cable in the battery was really | > > hot. | > >

| > > After waiting a few minutes and turned on the light to made sure it | > > wasn't the battery, the car started (with the lights on) when I got | > > home I turn it on and off a few times with the lights off to made sure | > > there's no short with the light switch and it was all ok. | > >

| > > My question is... | > >

| > > What happened that the car didn't start? Is it possible that the "new" | > > TFI is giving me problems? | > >

| > > The engine is hunted and only fails at public places so I have to pay | > > to bring the car back home? | > >

| > > P.S. I am not superstitious but I am starting to get scared of | Wednesdays. | >

| > I forgot to add, I noticed that the clock was reset when I got back | > home. It read 0: 9 minutes, like it was reset 9 minutes ago, I didn't | > desconnect the negative cable in the battery or anything that could | > have reset the clock. | >

| > Is it possible that the battery is in short? There are no error codes | > present in the computer, no check engine lights and the battery gauge | > looks fine. | >

| > -- | > 88' Mustang LX Convertible 2.3L | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Thanks guys, there was no smoke at least visible. I don't know what to think, I recently changed the lights switch so it is suspicious, the battery also looks old and in bad shape. The negative and positive terminals look pretty old too.

Reply to
Pepito

Pepito opined in

Jim Z is exactly right in this case, as are the others who said it was bad connection.

What you saw is very rare... usual indication is rapid click of starter solenoid. then next time it starts.

For guys with older cars, always keep a lookout for discolored terminals or wire insulation near them.. points to a resistive connection.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic