'93 240 Won't Start After Clutch Replacement

Subject line says it all. After replacement of the clutch in our 1993 Volvo 240 wagon (it's a 5 speed), our mechanic cannot start this vehicle. He is stumped, the local Volvo people are stumped, any ideas?

Other than the clutch, the car was in excellent condition, with just fewer than 100,000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance!

Anthony DeGregorio snipped-for-privacy@frontiernet.net

Reply to
Anthony and Marylyn DeGregorio

As i recall the ignition timing is timed from the flywheel by a sensor. Either the cable is broken or the sensor not installet correctly? If the flywheel has been taken off, its perhaps not installed in the right position.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

Thanks, just called Fred and he was a couple of steps ahead. He's already replaced the sensor and run continuity tests, checked all the wiring and fuses, the flywheel was not taken off, the car cranks but does not catch. Where else might he look?

Again, thanks in advance, Marylyn

Reply to
Anthony and Marylyn DeGregorio

Tell him to check & see if any codes are set in either computer A2 & A6 it sounds as if the flywheel was removed & not installed correctly post back so we may be able to asset further Glenn

Reply to
G Klein

One never knows, Anthony, what can screw up one marque vs another . . .

I learned the hard way by installing a new clutch in a Corvair (yes, I

*am* older than dirt) and finding that the engine wouldn't budge when the starter was energized. The problem was that reversal of the clutch disk forced the center mounting hub against the flywheel (the hub stood much farther away from the disk on one side), effectively locking the two together. The engine would start when the gear box was in neutral, but could not then be shifted into gear. Happily, the power train was being tested with the package sitting on the ground, so correction was easy.

bob noble Reno, NV, USA

Reply to
Bob Noble

I don't think I would do a clutch job without changing the rear main seal as a preventative measure. That would require pulling the flywheel. If the sensor was dislodged putting the bellhousing back together it would not sense the rotation of the flywheel and fail to start. This rpm sensor replaces the hall sensor in older distributors and controls the ignition timing on later 240s. Is the car getting spark? Is it out of gas? Are the injectors firing when he cranks the engine? Has he verified both of these?

RAFster David

Reply to
RAFster