Coil Spring Compressor

Hi, I would like to replace my front struts on my '93 LX and the manual says I need to use a special coil spring compressor. I've found the part they reccommend but it's $300. Its different from the standard coil spring compressors as this one has a pair of flat circular plates that do the compressing as opposed to the $39 hook type. Has anyone done one of these jobs w/o using a $300 part and how did it go?.

thx

Reply to
remove

You don't need a spring compressor to replace the front struts. Read this:

need to use a special coil spring compressor.

standard coil spring compressors as this one has a

hook type. Has anyone done one of these jobs w/o

Reply to
teeces

No spring compressor is needed if changing struts, what you will do is jack the front of the vehicle up and place jack stands to support the front. Take the floor jack and place under the control arm to support it and undo strut bolts and remove. You will need to remove caliper and rotor to gain access to lower strut bolts. About the hardest thing to do on this is removing the nut on the top of the strut shaft. If you are replacing old struts you can usually take a hack saw or die grinder and cut the side of the nut for easier removal.

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy

Impact wrench works wonders too.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Just changed the struts on my dad's 99. Took the strut out by removing the two nuts and bolt on the plate. put the strut shaft in a large vice and then used an impact wrench to remove the top nut.

Reply to
Brent P

rent the part from NAPA Autozone or Pepboys.

Use the right tool for the right job and avoid the pain and hassle that comes from trying to cut corners.

Reply to
Lucas4927

Some good advice all 'round..... Just the usual warning that a compressed coil spring such as one of these harbours a great deal of energy waiting to escape. One mistake could make it hard to count past nine (ideed can make counting difficult - period).

Work carefully and be sure that the car is well supported on appropriate supports.

Good luck.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Damn. I have done three cars and the impact spins the top nut right off.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Like others said; If you only change the strut and not the spring then you do not need a spring compressor. BEsides, autostores around here loan them out for free.

Rein