replace front struts 99 camry

I want to replace front struts on my 99 camry. I don't have spring compressor. It looks to me like I can compress coil spring by having 3 friends sit on fender, then remove center fastener, then have them slowly remove weight.

Reply to
wp51dos

This is a joke, right?

Would you like donations to a favored charity in lieu of flowers?

Reply to
Hachiroku

You'll also remove a finger or some teeth (plush dent the fender). Rent or buy a spring compressor - Harbor Freight has one for like $10-20.

Reply to
Wolfgang

What would you expect from a guy that buys a Toyota? ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The strut assembly has to be removed from the vehicle before compressing the spring. Using the hook-type spring compressor may work, but IMO, they are very dangerous and not something I would attempt. Shops that do a lot of strut work have a wall-mounted strut compressor that places a protective cage around the assembly before compressing the spring for greatly improved safety. After the strut is replaced, the suspension will need to be re-aligned.

Reply to
Ray O

AutoZone has a Tool Loaner Program where they will let you use the spring compressor for free.

I can't imagine how your strategy could be successful because even when the car is pressed down, the spring remains under considerable pressure.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Not the one they showed me! I went across the street and cut a deal with the guys at Meineke...

It cost $30 a strut, but I still have my teeth! That tool was awful! The 'clamps' were loose and looked like they would let the spring slip out. I ain't that brave.

For $40 you can buy a Lisle that BOLTS onto the spring. It's about 1/4" steel U-Bolt that bolts arond the spring and into the tool with a 1/2" nut. About the safest 'portable' tool I have seen.

Reply to
Hachiroku