distributor question

I'm converting a 1990 mustang 2.3 to a 302, i have a 302 out of an 84 grand marquis, was wondering if i need to swap distributors b/c i'm gonna carburate it and the 302 was throttle body FI. do i need to buy a new distributor or can i use that one with an msd ignition?

Reply to
Curtis Metzler

Curtis Metzler opined in news:_mAJd.97068$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews5.bellsouth.net:

You have to go back to at least the Duraspark type. the one with the TFI module on the side works with the EECIV computer ...

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I've used the duraspark type before with an MSD 6A, 6L and it works like a charm. Just buy a new one from from the autoparts store. You may need to get it recurved for optimal performanc but they usually work good right out of the box. You have to cut the connector off of the distributer and splice in the extra connector that comes with an MSD unit.

  1. Cut the black wire coming out of the distributer flush with the grommet (it is not used).
  2. Cut the orange and blue wires coming out of the distributer at the connector.
  3. Solder the orange distributer wire to the purple MSD connector wire.
  4. Solder the blue dist. wire to the green MSD connector wire.
  5. Install the distributer and MSD unit and plug it in to the distributer.

I'm sorry but I forgot which year Duraspark distributer to ask for. Perhaps Backyard or someone else may know. Get one with the small silver vacuume advance. These are adjustable with an allen wrench through the vacuum hole. You should also pick up a later post style cap and rotor and the adapter for it. Where do you live? I may be interested in that 2.3, harnass, computer and transmission.

Reply to
Mark C.

While shopping, check out the MSD and similar distributors... some of these offer easy adjustability and reduced harmonics...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Yes, I was going to suggest this too. They're pricey but worth it. The stock Duraspark is a good alternative if you're on a budget.

Reply to
Mark C.