302

I have a 1996 jeep wrangler 4cyl and would like to put a 302 from a 1988 ford f-150. Can anyone tell me if it is possable to do so and what steps i would have to take?

Reply to
HILTON

advanceadapters.com

Be advised you will probably have to replace your entire driveline as well, as the AX-5 transmission and the Dana 35 rear axle won't hold up too long against a 5.0L V8, unless it's really detuned....

Also the combo may not be legal in your state for street use since the Ford engine is older than the Wrangler, check your state's emissions laws.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I helped a gent set up a clutch for a Mustang power plant and tranny in a CJ7. No one he took it to despite several thousands spent could make a cable system work and no one he took it to had a clue about a hydraulic conversion when he limped it over to me.

I looked carefully at it and just went with a CJ mechanical clutch linkage. It seemed the simplest and for sure the cheapest way to go. The linkage parts are all available new. I had to swap the bell crank lever from top to bottom to make a puller for the Mustang T5 throwout bearing lever instead of the pusher on the Jeep T5 and it worked great.

Here is a couple links on doing the 5.0 swap and a hydraulic clutch link:

Mike

Mike Romain

I worked in a Mack garage where they had a mechanic who could put a clutch cable on anything, and I am pretty good at retrofitting hydraulic cylinders, if I do say so myself. I think a lot depends on what you are used to working with.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

They couldn't get the throw needed with the cable. He either had a nice engage in 1st with a total slip at full throttle or full throttle grab and serious grinding into gear if it would even go in. The poor guy spent over $2500.00 for even that much and it was the third 'build'....

The problem is there aren't really many 'mechanics' left around. They are all 'technicians' now a days and if a computer readout don't tell them what to do, they are lost.

Mike

Earle Hort>

Reply to
Mike Romain

So far for my Ford swap into my CJ8 I've been very pleased with the Novak swap kit. They don't drill the holes in the mounts, you're free to locate things where they work best for you. I'm using a T-18 behind it and the t-case adapter to my Dana 300 case was very straight forward and easy.

Good Luck, Don W

Reply to
QuickTruck

Reply to