Mustang Fever All Over Again

New York Times November 12, 2004 DRIVING Mustang Fever, All Over Again By LISA KALIS

APRIL JOYCE had never felt this way about a car before. For almost two years, she followed the advance photos and reviews on the newly redesigned

2005 Mustang.

"The first time I saw it, I knew I had to have it," she said last week.

Starting even before the car was released in October, said Ms. Joyce, 31, an accounts receivable manager from Alabaster, Ala., she contacted 30 dealers in two states to check inventory and prices. When she heard that a local dealer had a Mustang, she rushed over to see it, but found she wasn't alone - "the people were standing two and three deep."

Ms. Joyce still hadn't found exactly the model she wanted - a manual V-6 in black or silver - and she said she planned to order one if something did not turn up soon. The wait "hasn't killed me yet," she said, "but it's getting close."

The release of the new Mustang has set off a stampede of interest across the country. Many point to its retro style, three years in the making, with cues from the 1960's and 70's. Some cite the upgraded V8 engine, with greater horsepower than last year's model. There's the fairly affordable price, starting at $19,410 for the V-6 and $24,995 for the V-8 GT. But Ford appears to have tapped into something else: an emotional reaction strong enough to turn some buyers into auto stalkers.

"They're physically following the truck in and saying, `I'll take that car,' " said Brian Carlson, fleet sales manager at Earnhardt Ford in Tempe, Ariz. The dealership received and sold 10 Mustangs in two weeks. The cars that did not sell right off the carrier were on the lot for two days at most.

Kathy West, a computer support technician from Hope Mills, N.C., was driving to a furniture store one evening last month with her husband, Ryan, when they spotted a yellow V-6 at a dealership. "Ryan said, `Turn around! Turn around!' " she recalled.

Less than three hours later, they had traded in her Ford Explorer S.U.V., bought the Mustang and driven it home - a purchase that Ms. West, 33, hadn't even considered until she saw the car. She did take a test drive before buying, but they didn't leave the lot to make a decision. "We both knew it wouldn't be there when we came back," she said. The only problem: "It was really dirty. Everybody had their fingerprints on it."

She was lucky to find a Mustang. McCarville Ford in Centereach, N.Y., has presold its entire allotment of Mustangs through January - just 15 cars. "I could sell a lot more if I could get them," said Mike McCarville, the owner. To make sure he has something to show the dozen or so gawkers who turn up every day, he doesn't let the new owners take their cars home until the next shipment comes in.

With supply limited so far, buying early has disadvantages. Forget about making a deal on the price. Paul Russell, a marketing manager at Ford, said that many cars are selling for $1,500 over the sticker price. Last week, nearly 20 dealers were auctioning new models at eBay Motors for thousands more than manufacturer's suggested retail price.

Over the last two decades, Mustang's annual sales have fluctuated - 225,290 in 1980, down to 80,247 in 1991 and back to the mid-100,000 range for the last four years, according to Autodata, an auto market research firm. As of last week, Mr. Russell said, dealers had already ordered 42,000 Mustangs for this model year.

The cars should be more available in the next few months, and shoppers will have the option of a convertible this spring, as well as different trim levels and more engine choices.

Interest in the new Mustang has been building for some time. Early drawings and photos appeared in car magazines and on car-related Web sites by late

2002. In 2003, concept models of the coupe and the convertible made the rounds at auto shows around the country, generating plenty of interest. "Some of the regional shows were upset because we didn't have enough of the prototypes to go around," Mr. Russell said. "It was our most requested vehicle."A production model appeared at the shows in January of this year, and that same month, interest was high enough for dealers to begin taking orders.

OF course, Mustang also has the benefit of a 40-year history - and a corps of romantics who have always loved the car for its early image of power and adventure.

"People go to showrooms just to see the Mustang," said Joe Barker, a manager at the auto research firm CSM Worldwide, "even if they're not a serious buyer."

That group includes Arthur Ferron, 58. When he passed a red '05 at a dealership, he quickly made a U-turn for a closer look. Apparently he wasn't the first. "The salesman had seen me through the window - he laughed and said, `You just had to turn around, didn't you?' " said Mr. Ferron, an advertising production manager from Manchester, Conn. "All I wanted to do was sit in one."

When Robb Anderson, 24, heard there was a new GT with a manual transmission at his local dealer, he also had to take a look. He wasn't planning on buying, but two days later he traded in his 2003 Mustang for the new model.

"It has the classic muscle-car look to it," Mr. Anderson said. His new Mustang is his third, and his favorite by far. His first, when he was 16, was a 1988 four-cylinder automatic. "That was barely a Mustang," he said.

Last year's line hasn't been totally forgotten yet. With all of the incentives and discounts, a 2004 Mustang can sometimes go for $5,000 less than a 2005 model. For two weeks in late October, 2004 sales at Earnhardt Ford were in the "double digits," Mr. Carlson said. But he thinks the price isn't the only factor convincing some buyers to pass up the redesigned Mustang. "Some people don't like the retro styling," he said.

No one will be safe from the marketing campaign. On Oct. 29, Ford introduced a commercial starring a digitally recreated Steve McQueen, star of the 1968 movie "Bullitt." (Mr. McQueen, who died in 1980, drove a Mustang fastback GT in the film's famous car-chase scene.) Over the next few months, the new model will appear in TV shows like "Alias," "The O.C." and "American Idol."

"The airwaves are going to be inundated," Mr. Russell said.

Perhaps the old "Bullitt" fans aren't regular viewers of "The O.C.," but there is diversity among the people showing up at dealerships to buy Mustangs. "We see people from the 60's who grew up with them, and want to recapture their youth," said Ed Duquette of Vista Ford in Woodland Hills, Calif. "Then we see younger buyers, because there isn't that much competition in the factory sports car segment."

And there are the loyal Mustang enthusiasts, like 47-year-old Michael Hesslink. He ordered his in mid-October and expects to have it by the end of the year, bringing his number of Mustangs to four. (His garage also holds a

2002 Roush, a 2001 V-6 and a 1970 Mach 1.) He plans to make the new model his everyday driving car. Still, Mr. Hesslink, an airplane safety instructor from Middleburg, Fla., has other hopes for the new model.

"Mustangs are great investments," he said. "I think it's going to be the same way 35 years from now. This will be the car everyone's looking to fix up."

Reply to
Jim S.

Ah geez... a lamb to the dealer slaughterhouse...

... and she's not alone.

It's a new model. Give it a year for the early-adopter rage to settle down and the initial issues to be discovered and settled, and get a better price on the car...

;-)

Dana

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

"Jim S." wrote

**sniped for contrary commentary**

| To make sure he has something to show the dozen or so gawkers who turn up | every day, he doesn't let the new owners take their cars home until the next | shipment comes in. |

Uh huh... If I bought it, you can bet your bottom dollar he would not hold it hostage on me. He'd become very closely associated with the concept of my boot up his ass.

Over the next few months, the new | model will appear in TV shows like "Alias," "The O.C." and "American Idol."

I saw that last night, I about jumped out of my chair. "HONEY! Come look QUICK!!"

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top Please Lord, at the end, just one last ride... with the top down
Reply to
SVTKate

I think this article is awesome. I wonder if Ford even dreamed the new Mustang would be this wildly successful so quickly?

-Bill J.

95 GT
Reply to
Bill Jones

Bill Jones opined in news:%Xfld.7829$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com:

Geez...I dunno.. do you suppose they know how to count website hits?

Or count bodies around a display at car shows?

Or google search mentions on the web? ;)

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

(>snip His new Mustang is his third, and his favorite by far. His first, when

Somewhere, the Princessmobile is crying.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

LOL - the Full of Bull Ford dealer. ;)

That's BULLSHIT!

If I'm buying a new car, there's NO WAY IN HELL I'm not driving it home THAT DAY. I'm NOT leaving it in the showroom for a bunch of lookie-loos to leave their fingerprints on, allow their little brats to climb on, etc.

If you want to keep one around to build showroom traffic, do it with one of YOURS, not MINE.

I have yet to see this commercial. Is it online anywhere?

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

Scott en Aztlán wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Go here:

Then 'Gallery' -> 'Video Gallery'. The 2nd icon at the bottom is the commercial.

Joe

If you want to download the full version, right click on the following link and select "Save Target As"

It's a 2.0 meg download.

Gary

Reply to
GEB

Joe wrote in news:2vngijF2n030tU1@uni- berlin.de:

Actually, forget the 2nd link and click the 3rd - Trilogy. Much better.

Joe

Whoa, Kate! What a turnaround... now you're digging the new Mustang...?

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Not necessarily Patrick. I was just shocked to see it on a TV show when it isn't yet in all the showrooms.

Our local dealership got a silver GT in, so I stopped and had a look at it. With the spoiler, I suppose the exterior is acceptable... a bit bland, but not enough to make me throw it out of the garage.

The interior makes the car a complete no sale for me. The seats are hard and flat, if you took a turn at anything other than 10 mph you would be sliding across the car. The dash is too deep to read easily, the stereo was flat sounding and the controls throughout were a big yawn. The ONLY thing I liked about it was the shifter on the auto (that made it worthless too) tranny. I like the retro T style with the button on the side. That's it, the only thing I liked about the interior.

Now, this IS a plain Jane interior, no little aluminium goodies, but stilll it was just icky gooey and cootiefied. I doubt that the trim package would change it for me a bit.

HAH! Thought you would rub my nose in it didn't you! *wink*

On the UP side, when I walked in to look at it, they guys behind the counter said they'd only sell it to me if I traded MINE in on it! I laughed and told them that that wasn't going to happen, that there was still one empty stall in the garage if I needed it. Then they ran out to gawk at my poor beat up old nag. So, even though she isn't new any more, and even though that GT has all the horses she has... she's still a long legged good looking gal with a nice rack under her hood...and she likes to go fast n topless. The boys know it.

Reply to
SVTKate

It is better, but it's still not the one I'm looking for (neither is the second).

I'm looking for the one where the digital Steve McQueen walks out of the cornfield and drives away in the new '05 Mustang GT.

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

The connection times out for me. Maybe they've exceeded their bandwidth this month? ;)

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

Nope...probably timed out for you cause the server got hammered. Buzz Haze's photo gallery is on there and it gets quite a bit of traffic, along with a few drag racers sites. Give it a try again. This IS the video your looking for though!

Gary

Reply to
GEB

There's a copy of the spot on the website of David Stuart, the actor who starred in the spot with Steve McQueen.

Here in Canada we are just getting the new Mustangs in the dealerships and are only now getting to see the Cornfield spot. So the buzz from that commercial is hitting us almost two months after the US. Kind of depressing to be so far behind but better late than never. I think all the spots are great, especially the McQueen one.

Reply to
gqgumshoe