Deja Vu all over again!

Hello:

When I last left you all, I had, once again, had problems with rough running engine. On my way to work, it was so bad I drove car into dealership instead. They looked at it, diagnosed a need for an "evap vent". OK... $250.00. But installing this caused problems with the wiring harness in the rear wheel well, so the car had to be in shop for the whole day.... grr... Eventually, I was back on the road. No check engine light. Car seemed occasionally to stumble, but, hey, I took what I could get.

Next day, boom!, check engine light again. Then it began flashing slowly on/off. Uh oh. I know now that means misfiring cylinders. This was just too much!!

I have been to the dealership about 9 times in 7 months and it still wasn't working.

Today I took it in. One of the things recently fixed was a fuel injector, which was cleaned and proclaimed good. Apparently, however, this process caused it to become a little "loose", so they did something either to the fuel injector or the wiring connecting it (or both).

I took the time to go next door and test drive a Honda.. :)

No charge this time. No check engine light so far. I have a committment that if this repair doesn't do it, they will keep the car for a week, and give me a loaner for a week so that this madness can stop.

I'm looking into trade-in value of the Subie... :(

Legacy 2002, 160,000 kilometers (99,419 miles) Repair/maintenance costs 2007 ($4700.00) Repair/maintenance costs 2008 ($300.00 and counting....)

Reply to
Fred Boer

Ugh.

Sounds like my Jan-November of 2007 with my car.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I hear you, Todd! I was hoping you'd notice the post....

Reply to
Fred Boer

I can't recall the history on what all you've been through. I'm sure I mentioned "slipped brand new timing belt and defective new tensioner" as the ultimate root cause that made my world better, but I can't remember all the history/symptoms you've been fighting.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Hi Todd:

Oh, I wouldn't expect anyone to remember my long, long list. Basically it boils down to many, many visits (I've averaged more than a visit a month to various dealerships and mechanics over the last 12+ months), with multiple visits necessary for almost every repair (i.e. never completely diagnosed/repaired with only one visit).

Wheel bearing Power steering pump Check engine light (Oxygen sensor, wiring harness, Evap Vent - 10-15 separate visits all told..) Radiator Water Pump but mostly... 2 (!) complete head gasket repairs. On a 2002 Subie with only

90,000 miles that I believe was well maintained....

Your story is no less frustrating, I know.. I remember it well!

I'm not sure what they've actually done this time to fix the car (not clear on the details - given that I know nothing about Fuel Injectors), but I have learned not to expect anything good! I drove a Honda Fit today and it seemed a nice little car. I don't know what I could get for the Subie... and I am really torn: is it worth it to keep this car (assuming we've exorcised the demons), or should I be dumping it as a total bad-luck lemon...

Cheers! Fred

Reply to
Fred Boer

Feel free to offer advice! I wonder what some of you might think would be smartest?

Cheers! Fred

Reply to
Fred Boer

I would check or replace ignition wires, maybe coil pack assembly.

Reply to
marcwertheimer

Thanks for the suggestion! Ignition wires have been replaced recently. They replaced the coil, but found it wasn't faulty, so they put the old coil back on, so I think that isn't an area of concern at the moment.

When I had the head gaskets done, they also put in a new timing belt at my request, and ignition wires, some computer thingy that had something to do with ignition, and plugs...

Reply to
Fred Boer

Reply to
bigjimpack