OK I got my 23 tooth speedometer gear... now what?

I can't seem to find any reference to WHERE the gear is located, other than "on the drivers side of the transmission" (haynes manual is no help, and googling for it just gives me tons of links to discussions about speedo gear swaps, not how to do them). A guy at work who's owned a few mustangs has told me what the basic shape of the bracket looks like that holds the gear, and that it uses a 10mm bolt, but I can't seem to find anything on the driver's side of the tranny that fits the descripton (it IS kind of hard to see with the exhaust in the way) so can anyone tell me or show me pictures of where this is located so I can get this gear swap done? I'm itching to have a speedometer that reads correctly!

Thanks,

James '94 GT 5spd

Reply to
LoTekGuru

The gear is at the end of the speedo cable Tropic Green Y2K 5 Speed Mustang GT P-1SC & Some MM Stuff

LoTekGuru wrote:

Reply to
Gill

You should find the speedometer cable and gear by the tailshaft of the transmission - past the much larger gear assembly. Start looking from the driveshaft forward... you should find it.

JS

Reply to
JS

I found it yesterday and got it swapped out in a couple minutes.. thanks for the replies! I think the reason I missed it the first time is that the crossmember was blocking my view, since it sits directly behind it.

Reply to
LoTekGuru

Good luck with it. the 23 tooth has stripped a few times for me in different cars.

Reply to
Mark

yeah I've heard about that problem.. I kept my original gear just in case it happens, in which case I'll have to break down and get the internal gear changed to a 6-tooth before I buy another speedo gear I suppose.

Reply to
LoTekGuru