what headers

hope you can lead me in the right direction.Ive

been > > told if you have a mildly built or stock engine that > > stock exhaust manifolds or shorty headers are > best.Ive > > got a 302 with a stock lower end (9.0 to 1 ).the top > > end is the only thing Ive changed.Ive got the > > Performer package from edelbrock(600 carb,intake)not > > sure of the cam specs?all in all a mild motor .what > > headers should i run in my 68 mustang? tork > > step,shorties,or full length ?i have a 68 mustang > with a c-4 tranny and 3.73 gears and power steering.thanks
Reply to
m f

1-1/2 full length and 2-1/4 or 2-1/2 exhaust with dynomax super turbo mufflers.
Reply to
winze

May I call you MF? Okay...anyways, "shorties" are really only used because of cataylic convertor concerns. Your car is a '68 -- no cats

-- so rule out the shorties. "Torque step" headers start at one diameter and get slightly larger in diameter at a certain point further downstream. (I think torque step is just marketing or every header made would be torque step headers.) What you want for your car are long (full length), equal-length headers no larger than 1 5/8 inches in diameter. Good luck, MF.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

car craft mag did some testing i found.they showed a small torque drop up to 3400 rpms with the shorty headers over the long tubes ,but a incress of horse power and torque in the rpms above3800 .they also said if you plug the shorties into a lite car like the old mustangs that have small tires traction could be helped with less low end torque and uper and power.,but if you had a truck that you wanted to pull heavy loads then the long tube would be better with the better low end torque.they also said the try ys had better power and torque between 3700 and 5200 over long tube but sufered badly from 2600 to

3600,but that might have been over come with some carb work(they claimed from over scavenging)
Reply to
m f