Old farts in nice cars

I drive the same 12-mile stretch of highway every day, going home at lunch to let the dog out, then back to work. I know every bump on that highway and every likely hiding spot for troopers. I know that around the 15th and 30th of each month, they set up harvest zones and pulling over speeders is like shooting fish in a barrel for them. More often than not, my Spidey sense tingles when approaching a speed trap, but it does fail me on occasion.

Like earlier this year, when I was pulled over in TFrog. The officer made a point of complimenting me on TFrog's appearance, then said that he'd clocked me at 74 in a 55 zone. That was a lie, because I was doing 80, easy, but what are you going to do? In the end, he ran my license (came up clean, of course), then wrote me up for doing 64 (about $100, but no points, no trail). After all, I was just an old fart in a nice Mustang... harmless.

Last week, I have to admit that I was "just asking for it."

I came upon a clump of cars in both lanes doing about 60. Sure enough, there was a plainly marked police car in the right lane doing the speed limit (55), and the drivers in the left lane were crawling past him at about 60 to

62mph. Naturally, everyone was bunched up like a NASCAR event.

I hate tailgating. It's the one thing about driving that makes me crazy. Call me old school, but I like a good bit of separation between me and other cars, especially at speed. There was no separation in either lane here.

So we crawled past the officer, and when things cleared up a bit, I nudged the convertible up to 65, 66, 67, then 68. Ah, separation. I was in the clear. 69mph, 70... Not another car around, nothing except that clump in my rearview.

Okay, I was enjoying it a bit too much. The officer, too, worked his way to the front of the line, settled in behind me at a discreet distance, and then threw on his lights. Damn.

When he walked up to my car, he was laughing. Swear to god, laughing. He asked me why I was doing 70, and I just said, "I hate crowds." He understood that, then came right out and said that he pulled me over because he had to - he couldn't let me get away with 70mph with everyone watching. In other words, he pulled me over for the benefit of everyone else and to send a message. Then he complimented me on CFrog, and we talked a little bit about Mustangs (he had owned an '88, it seems). He also pointed out that when younger drivers see me speeding in a Mustang, it excites them into doing similar stupid things (like I don't know THAT - these little Foxes still seem to be the benchmark for every pre-shaving yahoo with a learner's permit).

Again, he ran my license, came back and pretty much just said, "Have a nice day."

If I were 30 years younger, I have no doubt that I would have been severely ticketed in both instances. Being an old fart in a cool car, and always very polite and respectful, has its rewards, it seems. Still, yes, in this last incident, I was obviously asking for it.

It also makes me question my firm belief that police will not pull over a driver for doing 72 or less on that highway. Perhaps it was just the officer trying to save face (he had no intention of writing me up, after all). Maybe I forced the issue.

Ah, well, it was stupid. "I'll never do THAT again."

When the officer asked me why I was speeding, my first reaction was to say, "I didn't buy no Mustang to be doin' no stinkin' speed limit." I thought better of that.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

You need a V1 :oP

Reply to
WindsorFo

The reasonable cops are that way, at least for old folks. At one time the law here in AZ was anything that was 20 over was a criminal charge so unless you were an ass they would write you up as 19 over. there are a lot of things about traffic laws and enforcement that burn my chaps but most of the AZ highway patrol are pretty decent on tickets.

On the issue of how they let old farts get away with stuff I was on the freeway at rush hour some years ago in the second lane to the left. there was a cop in the right lane and he was a little bit behind me. There was an old lady ahead of me and as we came to an exit ramp she realized it was hers and dove across the right lane at the very last minute right in front of the cop. He clearly saw it and even had to brake but he just let it go. he still had room that he could have run thru the gore area and caught her. I'm sure if I had done it he would have stopped me.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I've had a few very similar experiences. Thirty years ago in my shiny new TR7 convertible, for one. When he lit me up I waved and changed lanes very carefully, and took an off-ramp, parking in a residential area.

He said, "I didn't think you were going to stop". I said I did not like the idea of him and me sitting at the side of a 65-mph column of metal, with no protection but the drivers' good sense. Then he asked if I knew why he pulled me over. I asked if it was to see if I got the license number of that monster pickup that was tailgating me. I had actually accelerated to five-over to get to a clear space where I could change lanes and get out of his way. He hemmed and hawed a bit and sent me on my way. Didn't take long enough to make me late for court.

Seems to me the last time I got stopped was in the same car, twenty years later, going the opposite direction in the same area. I was part of the 67-mph train and moved over to find my cushion-space front and rear. Moved over and forward a bit. He said the same thing as to dwight: he couldn't let me go faster in view of his own presence. Once again, not enought time wasted to make me late, but this time a co-worker saw me there and said I was supposed to be an example for good behavior, not getting a ticket in front of gahd and everyone.

Haven't had any pullover problems with my deceptively fast GT/CSs (S197 Mustang-like cars).

Reply to
Frank ess

I had a cop tailgate me on the interstate. 2 lanes, everyone in the right lane going 2 under because of teh cop. I'm in the left lane going about 2 over with the cop tailgating me. I thought that he must want to go somewhere so I bumped it up to 5 over to get out of his way and then he pulls me over. As soon as he got to the "do you know why I pulled you over...." I open up on him with both verbal barrels and told him that his stopping me was bullshit, that I only went over to get out of his way because I thought he was trying to get to an accident or something. He didn't say another word, flipped his ticket book closed, got back in his car and left.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Wife go stopped in the '07 GT when we first got it, 42 in a 25. He let her go, clean license and she is old enough to be his mother, heheheh After that my V 1 went into the car and another was purchased for my use in other vehicles. The annoyiing beeping comments that I used to get about the V 1 are gone now since she's learned it's value and how the car just loves to cruise at 80. Advanced age and a clean licence sure get you a ton more wiggle room when you don't have any LEO cards..........

Reply to
Repairman

Cop pulled me over in my Escort... usual "do you know why I pulled you over?" "No, sir, i have no idea." I was in fact watching the speedometer closely and know I was doing 50 MPH in a 55. Cop says, "I clocked you doing 70 MPH" I LAUGHED AT HIM and pointed back at the stop sign that was maybe a 100 yards back if that and said, "Sir, it is physically IMPOSSIBLE to get THIS car up to 70 MPH in that short of a distance!" He did the "uhh... uhhh.." and then gave me "If your record is clean I won't give you a ticket... " speech... record was clean of course... so off i went...

I did learn from my father-in-law the ex-state trooper... never admit to anything! LOL! He told me that lots of time they would see some one they KNEW was speeding but didn't get them on radar... they would pull them over and then through out some thing like, "We clocked you doing 80 MPH" and then see what the person would admit to (like i was only doing 75) and then write them up for that...

Reply to
John S.

SNIP

From my days of patrolling the highways and byways, as well as city streets in residential commercial, and industrial zones....

traveling with the pack, even when the pack was exceeding the posted, I never pulled anyone over. However, anyone who worked their way to the front became a target.

Residential zones I was a lot more restrictive, although, I would take into account the time of day, day of the week, etc. If kids were present, you got hung out to dry. Commercial zones were treated similarly. Industrial zones depended on how busy things were and the time of day. For example, at a meal time, when pedestrials were crossing streets to a lunch wagon, I was harder than 2 am.

I'd nail an excessively slow driver for impeding and allow traffice to smoth smoothly at a speed greater than posted.

I didn't pick on teens over oldsters. I watched both with equal regard but for different reasons. Both are less likely to pay attention. The difference is that teens are more apt to speed/race while oldsters are more apt to belend into traffic at fartoo slow a speed. Both are deadly but for different reasons.

Guess what. That's "profiling". All offiicers do it. And all this liberal crap about it being wrong serves only to get officers killed. Cops have to know their environment. In a really good neighborhood, you treat people with a different approach than in a very bad area.... and I don't care what the ethnic make up of the area is.

More often than not, I knew before I approached a driver whether or not I intended to issue a citation or not. HOWEVER, my choice was subject to immediate change based upon the attitude of the driver.

I was NEVER directed to increase the number of citations issued EXCEPT in a zone where we had had a rash of accidents. In fact, I was permitted at all times to write as many ciotations as I wished. I do have to admit that when I was a young trrop, I did once set a new record for the number of citations issued in one shift. As I got older, my attitude changed. I learned to view my job as a public relations job, and to provide assistance to the public. Public safety being my major concern. Through the years, I trained new officers to be the same way, and with rare exception they took to the idea that they were a part of the community they served.

Unfortunately, not all police officers see things the same way. Quite often this is because they work in environments which are greater in risk.

Reply to
veeger

in my wild youth, I had a new, bright-red Z-28 (and a very thick payment book)......couldn't take that thing out of the garage without attracting every cop within miles. my respect for SOME law enforcement types was cemented when I got a ticket from some f***ss who actually asked "I don't suppose you've got a job - Daddy bought you the car, didn't he?".

my daily driver was an old white Volvo......I could blow through speed traps at 90 mph and they never stopped stuffing their faces full of donuts.......totally invisible.

30 years later, having owned every imaginable kind of wheels, I sold all the old ones and bought myself 2 new retirement cars in '06: an GT convert, and a Five-Hundred.

when I told friends I was ordering a white 'Stang convert, they all said "every old fart in Florida has one of those"......so I got Vista blue.

3 1/2 years later, the 'Stang has 1400 miles on it.........was a nice day today, so uncovered it and took it for a spin.......so the first car I see is a new '10 GT convert.........with another old fart driving it. (do they all have sequential turn-signals?)

worst thing is I like the Five-Hundred better, so that really makes my oldfartdom official.

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

Yes the 2010 Mustangs have sequential turn signals...

Reply to
John S.

Waaay back in 1956 I purchased a 1950 Chev 2dr sedan for $250. I lowered it, customized it and added a few hi performance parts. It was a beautiful car, and I still owned it when I purchased a new 1963 Chev Impala 409. On one of my first outings with the 409, I hit the gas a little too hard and I was going down the road sideways just as a police car was approaching from the opposite direction. Of course he turned around and stopped me, and I'll never forget his words; "What the hell are you doing?" I tried to explain that I wasn't used to the car yet because I had been driving a 1950 Chev. He didn't buy my argument and issued me a citation for careless driving. Those cars are a fond memory now, but I can still have a little blast from the past when I'm driving my 84 Capri RS 5.0!

Dick

Reply to
Dick R.