Should Chevy bring back the Camaro?

Hey Everyone,

With Chevy pulling out of the pony car race, Ford is free to do whatever it wants, with little or no competition. History shows that in order to keep up the quality and improvements on a product, competition has to exist. I am not saying that Ford has eased up on the quality or innovations of it's Mustang, but how long until they realize they are getting an easy ride.

With the new Mustang coming out in a few weeks, and the attention it is grabbing. Should Chevy and Pontiac re-think their f-body cars? What a way to rekindle the interest in Trans-ams and Camaros then to bring them back after a few years break.

Reply to
GoLeafs

With GM's track record of "reused" car names, I for one hope they leave the Camaro and Trans-am names buried. Just look at what they did to the following names Nova when re-introduced it was just a Toyota tercel Impala, Malibu, Monte Carlo they destroyed 3 of their best "street fighter" names with FWD shit. With the exception of the new GTO which is in fact an all Australian design GM is only good for rehashing the names forsakes of "brand familiararity". The next contender to enter or re-enter the pony car race will be Dodge, the Magnum wagon (and 300) is Dodge's re-entry not only into the RWD world, but also back into the big v8 powered car. Perhaps a generation 3 Charger is being planned?? (yeah they too destroyed that name in the 80's with those omni 2+2 things)

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Entering into the unknown, V'ger seeks information used to maintain his Vintage Burgundy 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 w/289 ci 4v oem A Code V8, C4 Trans,

16x8" Vintage 40 wheels, with BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR16 tires, American Racing "Mustang" Centercaps, and a whole lot of other stuff; )
Reply to
V'ger

Corolla. It was actually a pretty decent vehicle for the $$. Let's see GM bring out a nice RWD Chevy II hot rod - a stripped GTO/Monaro?

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

"GoLeafs" wrote

It's already happening. Camaro returns in 2007 for it's 40th anniversary.

66 6F HCS

They'll bring it back... no doubt.

The whole thing is just a marketing stunt to sell more cars.

Phase 1.. Announce the demise of the Camaro.. Now there's a scurry among fans to get the freshest available, since they won't be around anymore. So they upgrade to current model, even though they may have otherwise waited a few years. Collectors scoop some up hoping to have a prize 10 or 20 years from now.

Phase 2. 2 or 3 years later, announce THE NEW 200x Camaro ! And everyone comes scrambling again.. Make sure there's lots of hubub about it, and keep the supply chain thin so that dealer gouging runs rampant.. Limit the options available since purists will buy whatever you throw at them.

Phase 3. The following model year (or 2) introduce some special models .. Z28's or Trans-Ams on the Pontiac side... up the HP, maybe add a ragtop, and entice some of the new model buyers that they AGAIN need to upgrade..

Yeah, it'll be back in a year or so... just watch!

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Here's another concept, though it's not the official Chevy version.

66 6F HCS

See my posts...

Reply to
66 6F HCS

I hope not. If the Camaro's out of the running Ford is free to start breathing down Corvette's throat.

Reply to
Iconoclast

So you believe GM will copy ford's marketing ? :)

Reply to
Brent P

Sure, why not..

It worked great for the ... uh.... ,,,.... um....

Oh yeah, what year did they stop making the Mustang and then re-introduce it again ? My memory is a little fuzzy :)

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

"66 6F HCS" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Awesome links, Scott. I especially like Kris Horton's concept:

Joe Calyspo Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

Reply to
Joe

Now that looks good!!

///Mike TS #63

1993 BMW 525i
of all the old cars
Reply to
TurboMike

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (TurboMike) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m02.aol.com:

Yeah, those concept pix make the Mustang right underneath look ancient.

Joe

The Impala is a good car, though more family than performance. The Monte Carlo has a weird aggressive look with nothing under the hood. Yeah, you see them in black with the nascar stickers and the dual exhaust tips. Do they ever challenge you at a light? Nope? They know its all show and no go.

Reply to
JohnR

Ford isn't above such a trick... Tbird anyone? ;)

Although the part I quoted with regard to manufactured 'rarity'... That's the part of ford marketing I was refering to....

Oh, and ford wanted to replace the mustang with a FWD car for 1989...

My guess is any new camaro will be some fwd hunk of crap like all the other reborn nameplates of recent years....

Reply to
Brent P

Naw... it would be nice if these companies would come up with something NEW. We have been driving the SOSDD for-freaking-ever. Time for some fresh blood methinks.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Well, I don't think the T-Bird was a calculated move.. Besides how's *that* workin' out for them ? They can't give the underpowered, overpriced golf carts away LOL! But sales of the ol' bird were hardly stellar, so it was really a no-brainer to kill it off.

The Camaro, while maybe slipping some, was still a viable seller.

But, sure... Ford (or any other company ) wouldn't be above such shenanagins..

I doubt the Camaro with be FWD, but who knows.. this IS *GM* we're talking about ! They've had a love affair with FWD for a LOT longer than just about any other American carmaker!

re-introduce it

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

So, what you saying Kate ?

you willing to give up your Mustang for a, .... Oh I dunno... Clydesdale ?? :)

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

"Brent P" wrote

Which became the Probe.

Nope, check my other posts. The Camaro returns in '07.

Reply to
66 6F HCS