Should Chevy bring back the Camaro?

Kate, you need to visit your local Dodge dealer. ;)

"SVTKate" wrote in news:1246d.4910$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Reply to
Joe

Never fear, there's more competition than ever.

If they bring back the Camaro, lets hope they reengineer it so it looks like an early Camaro without all the bad ergonomics and cheap plastic of the modern ones. A little comfort would be good too. Otherwise forget it, they will just fail again.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

I saw your post. 3 years out means rumors.

Reply to
Brent P

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (GoLeafs) wrote

Nevah hoppen. Read this story:

An edited version:

"GM isn't willingly giving out information on this, but there's been a lot of speculation over the past couple of years, ranging from the pretty logical to the somewhat bizarre....

"It would seem the lack of commitment from GM management would be the most plausable....

"Back in 1987, GM initially planned on closing its Ste. Therese assembly plant....Both the government of Quebec and the government of Canada along with the local Canadian Auto Workers union stepped in....The governments granted GM a 220 million dollar (Canadian) interest-free loan, payable in 30 years. Both the Quebec and Ottawa governments each contributed 110 million each. GM also was awarded over 100 million dollars in tax breaks to keep the plant open.

"This basic agreement helped the Ste. Therese plant win the exclusive mandate from GM to produce the Camaro and Firebird....[T]his arrangement is stated clearly on GM Canada's own media information website: 'GM of Canada's Ste. Therese, Quebec plant has the exclusive General Motors mandate to assemble Chevrolet Camaros and Pontiac Firebirds....

"This loan agreement came with the obligation that GM would continue to make the F-body at this plant until at least 2001, unless the vehicles made there were no longer profitable and had to be discontinued....

"GM initially did plan on replacing the F-body, but by the late '90s, the emphasis within the camp of then-product boss Ron Zarella was on trucks, and that's where the resources went. As far as cars went, the future at GM became front-wheel driven. This meant the end of the F-body, independent of events at Ste. Therese....

"Officially, GM wanted to tear down the plant because of their belief the property was more valuable as a vacant lot than a 2.1 million square-foot plant, much too large for just about any use other than a high-production vehicle factory. Keep in mind, however, that the plant also had a mandate that it would be the sole source for Camaros and Firebirds. It now begins to come into focus that any comment on a future Camaro or Firebird prior to the plant's disposal, via sale or demolition, perhaps could very well create a situation where GM would be compelled to keep the plant. From a legal perspective, it might be construed that any future car that carried the name Camaro or Firebird would have to be made at this plant, at least till 2017, the year all Canadian government loans are to be repaid....

"It had been strongly hinted, and now confirmed, that GM was working on a sporty car for Chevrolet which includes a 5.3-liter V-8 engine, rear-wheel drive, and four-passenger capacity. This vehicle will be based on GM's upcoming "Zeta" chassis being developed by Holden, GM's Australian division. Production for Zeta is likely headed for GM's Hamtramck, Michigan plant, which will soon be phasing out Cadillac Deville, Seville and Buick LeSabre. Although at press time, full details are not known about this car, but it is known that it will fall into the same 'ponycar' market the Camaro filled. An anonymous source close to the vehicle project has told PHR that GM has asked Delphi Corporation, the world's largest automotive supplier, to submit a bid on the safety restraint (airbag) system and steering assembly for a MY2007 Camaro. The only issue seems to be the final name and who will supply sub-systems. At the time this is written, the Ste Therese plant is being demolished, and it's expected the land it was on will be sold by General Motors. Once this happens, it will be interesting to see if GM is a little freer in talking about the future of the Camaro nameplate.

"When it's all said and done, the degree to which Chevrolet is free to talk about an upcoming Camaro relies almost entirely on its relations with the Canadian government and the satisfaction of the Canadian Auto Workers union. We have no doubt there will be a "Camaro-like" vehicle in our future, so the issue really boils down to the use of the name and how litigious the lawyers feel about it. We hope they can overcome their objections and let the good times roll!"

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

Something with style, flair, nice n fast, new, original and reasonably affordable. Hell CW, you know me... I want it ALL!

Kate

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Go wash your mouth out!

| > Kate | >

Reply to
SVTKate

Ahh, you're just afraid that you might actually like something in there.. ;)

"SVTKate" wrote in news:APl6d.5876 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

product,

attention

Camaros

Reply to
Joe

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:44:37 GMT, "SVTKate" wrote something wonderfully witty:

In that case it pretty much rules out anything coming out of a low-end GM company. Maybe something out of Caddy, but I doubt it.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

I'd like to see that Cam-Birds back - just for the competition and Ford doesn't get compacent. Dodge is bringing back the Chager; it'd be nice to see the Challenger and Cuda make appearances also - but that may oversaturate the ponycar market.

Reply to
Ralph Snart

so? what's your point?

*wink*

just out of general principal, I could NEVER buy a Dodge.

An old family feud between my brother and I.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Now that's a shame. Limiting your automotive options because of a family feud. ;)

"SVTKate" wrote in news:L7J6d.4895 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Reply to
Joe

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 03:16:40 GMT, "Ralph Snart" wrote something wonderfully witty:

The only may the market could be over-staturated is by bring out to much garbage. I to would like to see a retro f-body, but I doubt you would ever see such a thing form GM. Look at what they did when they brought that little sporty pickup to the market. Put it at a price point out of reach of Joe Average. If Ford is careful they will end up doing that with the Mustang as well. That is why we need tons of choices in this market segment.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Yeah, its coming back. The guy who wrote that article posts over at Camaroz28.com in the 5th Gen Camaro Forum. Check it out- it has all you want to know about the next Camaro. Also, another good one is cheersandgears.com. And, speaking of Mopar- check out allpar.com. They have some new pics up of what maybe the next Charger. Really, it looks more like a Magnum sedan (just like the Car & Driver pics if anyone has seen em'). But, back to the original question, yes they should bring back the Camar0. TAs are dead forever. GTO is Pontiac's performance coupe.

180 Out wrote:
Reply to
burdenk

The GTO is only a 3 or 4 year limited production run, due to the entire car is built in Australia and is infact a GM import to North America, with current autopacks and such GM can only sell the GTO in NA for a limited time before they either have to produce it here or stop selling it. Out of the Trans Am and Camaro I would prefer the T/A came back.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

burdenk wrote

What I got from the PHR story is that GM is working on a new pony car, but that there is a going to be a big problem with the Canadian provincial governments and the Canadian UAW if they call it a "Camaro." This last paragraph of the PHR story is what I'm talking about:

Now I don't know why the author wants to blame the "feelings" of "the lawyers," when the problem actually arose from politicians trying to buy votes by keeping an economically unviable assembly plant open, and that they did so without getting iron-clad assurances of return for value. Rather, it sounds like the Canadian UAW's "rights" to produce Camaros till the end of time -- or until 2017 at least -- was left purposefully vague. That way, the politicians and union leaders could claim they'd done something for their constituents, when in fact GM never agreed in black and white to grant the Camaro "rights" to the Canadians. It's just this kind of situation that lawyers feast on, but not because of their own "feelings." It's because of the stupidity and cupidity of the non-lawyers, aka "the clients."

So anyway, stepping off the soap box, I'm calling it more likely than not that GM will just sidestep the whole problem and call the new ponycar anything but "Camaro." I understand "Corvair" is available. Or how about "Chevette"?

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

It's not so much the feud.. I just hate the taste of crow!

K.

| > just out of general principal, I could NEVER buy a Dodge. | >

| > An old family feud between my brother and I. | >

| > Kate | >

Reply to
SVTKate