The Mustang - A Kid's Car?

at 27 Oct 2003, Greg in NJ [ snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

40+ myself
Reply to
Paul

I see some 20 and under "kids" driving what are probably second hand ones. I saw what looked to be a teen in a mid 90's red convertible (horizontal striped tail lights) fishtail around a corner and take off, the after market exhaust clearly advertising that it was a GT.

I rarely see them in the latest ones. The GTs are expensive compared to the

4 banger subcompacts they commonly drive now days and the insurance ain't cheap for younger drivers. John
Reply to
jriegle

I'm 40 with a totally restored 70 convertible, and like may other have posted the kids only hope to get to drive it someday!

-Joe

Reply to
Joe Duffy
25 and have a 96gt vert.got it when i was like 23yrs old and hope to own it till im alot older and to own an older stang someday.stangs are such fun cars they are for any age and young kids love them.its the big kids toys.
Reply to
(GT GUY

When I get to where I don't want a fast car, that will be a clear sign that I am getting OLD.

Reply to
Mark Jones

It's true - the Mustang is a punk-ass kid's car.

If you're an old fart.

A "grown-up" should drive a four-door, four-cylinder, front wheel drive sedan, or, if he's got a yen for some real PEP, a six-cylinder (woohoo!). These are the cars for the masses, and anything that deviates from this norm has to be explained somehow...

The Mustang. Must be a kid's car.

Yeah, that's it.

dwight

Reply to
dwight
42 years old, still thinks like a teenager (growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional) - I have always had little sporty cars. When you see my ass in a Caddy, Lincoln, Mecedes etc, then it's time to call the coroner, because I have ceased living (Don't get too excited, Bill S., I'll be around to antagonize everybody for YEARS to come)...
Reply to
Ralph Snart

Ok, who's turn is it to "reboot" Dwight............

Bill S.

dwight wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Hey, all you guys & gals in your 30's & 40's ARE kids, at least to this ol man [67 in January]! When I was a kid, I was driving Lincolns. Could't afford an 88, & the pony car hadn't been invented yet.

So, is the Mustang a "kid's car?" Yep. & since I have reached that time in life when I have no one I want to impress, I'd have to say I bought the '02 convert to put a little fun back in my life, after all those Mercurys & Oldsmobiles, damn good cars, but sadly lacking in the fun department.

Don't let "someone's" opinion of the Mustang bias your decision to own one, either way. Just think of it as something good you are doing for yourself.

Reply to
C Green

Reply to
Mustang_66

I'm sitting here at work, because that stinkin' KID'S CAR is broken down AGAIN. Only 166,000 miles on it, and it acts like an old car. Jeez.

Electronic fuel pump. I turned the key and heard it labor, not enough gas at the injectors to start the car. Tried again and ... silence.

It was only a matter of time.

Had it towed just last week when the air pump finally gave out (after warning me for a week - stupid me). Now I have to have it towed again.

Meanwhile, The Wife is after me to buy another car - any car, as a backup just in case things like THIS happen. ("When are you going to trade in that beatup old piece of crap?") So I started looking for a backup car and found one that interests me. She was thinking of a late-model "grown up car" (as described previously), but I'm naturally thinking MUSTANG.

I'm looking at a 1989 GT convertible 5.0 (automatic, darn it) with only

65,000 miles on it. The body and top are absolutely pristine, but I'd have to have the engine checked out. There's soot on the upper intake manifold that looks suspicious. Guy's asking a (high) $5,500 for it, but it really is in great shape. (Okay, the ashtray lid is busted and the passenger seat is stuck all the way forward, but I can overcome. The exhaust pipes have been ignored and are pitted, but that only means that I get to UPGRADE right from the start!) We'll see...

Won't that be great, when I have TWO Mustangs breaking down simultaneously?

dwight '93 LX 5.0 hatchback, lookin' good sitting in the parking lot

Reply to
dwight

This IS my room.

:()

Reply to
dwight

Hhhmmmmmmmmmmmm, two Mustangs for Dwight..........Yeah, I'm sure you could live with that..............I'll teach you how to say "it followed me home, can I keep it" with a straight face.................

Bill S.

dwight wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

I'm 32. My first car ever was a '70 Sportsroof which I bought when I was 22. It was sold and now I have the '66 Coupe. What really sucks is that, My wife said that it was either her or the 'Stang. So I sold it, then not 3 yrs later we end up divorced. Now I have neither, DAMN! At least if I'd picked the Stang over her, I'd still have one of the two. The one that never made me sleep on the couch.

Scott W. '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

I'm 35,and have a 69 Fastback,bought when i was 34.The only cars i owned before that were British cars,so the big American car is new to me ,and I love it !!!

Andrew

Reply to
me

Have you considered buying a wrecker as a backup vehicle? There has been more than one occasion that I thought about it but was afraid my neighbors would snicker... So I just bought a car hauler instead. Classic cars = breakdowns at all the worst times.

Reply to
Mustang_66

I always knew I made the right decision when mine gave the same ultimatum! I gave up golf for the wench, I figured it was a good time to cut my losses. I still have the '66 and my handicap has improved by 5 strokes!

Reply to
Mustang_66

LMAO! I've been beating myself over the head since I made THAT decision. In fact she (ex-wench) jokes with me about it now saying things like, "you wish you woulda kept the mustang?" DUH!!

Scott '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

The "'Stang or her" ultimatum was a significant clue it wasnt going to last. Any woman who cant tolerate her man's toys isnt worth having. Period.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Yep, One of my new rules for dating is that she must accept my 'stang(s). If she's not interested in my toys, that's fine, but "resistance is futile".

Scott W '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams