Things that don't get in the news...

There's probably dozens happen at this time of year, and they don't tend to get reported in the news.

So for the poor chap riding the motorcycle anticlockwise on the M25 yesterday somewhere between J16 and J17 - who left our sublunary abode at around 15.00hrs, I'll spare a thought.

Whatever you're driving - look out for motorcycles as well as looking out for yourselves folks.

Better safe and late, than not getting there at all.

This is partly why I'm an 'ex' biker, I guess.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Hmm well I don't suppose it will ever get into the news that some mysterios individual no doubt pissed and leaving the pub decided to twist my door mirror. What a moron, they usually bend and break the arial, but this individual was probably too pissed to see such an obvios target.

As for me I have never so much as run over a rabbit, mind you a cat had a very close escape on Christmas day.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Do you know why he was riding the wrong way round the M25? On the face of it it's tempting to say it's a good job he didn't kill anybody else, rather than lament his departure. What were the circumstances?

I saw some idiot riding the wrong way down the hard shoulder of the M6 once. I find it difficult to be sympathetic. But then, I inherited my mother's sense of justice.

David

Reply to
David French

He wasn't, and that wasn't what I said. He was travelling in an anticlockwise direction, as opposed to clockwise, as were several thousand other drivers at the time. I don't recall the M25 being made one way.

Reply to
Mother

On or around Sat, 27 Dec 2003 21:16:56 -0000, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

erm... you can drive both clockwise and anti- on the M25.

Mind, I see some f***ing idiots riding bikes these days. One such earlier this year would have been history had I been in the 110 and not on *my* bike when he overtook round the outside of traffic on what was for him a blind lefthander with double-whites. Luckily for him and me, I was well over to the left. But had I been in the 110, he'd have gone straight into the front of it and probably been killed, and would maybe have injured and killed others in the process.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Seconded. The worst seem to be on GSXR1000s and wearing flashy leathers, and they're around every other blind corner...

-- David

Reply to
David Lees

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Mother at "@ {mother} @"@101fc.net wrote on 28/12/03 4:29 pm:

lol ;-) bikers aren't that daft; car drivers often are. i can remember occasional but regular stories of some confused person actually driving the wrong way down a motorway/dual carriageway... always in a car...

Reply to
David Sillitoe

Usually the bad combination of very powerful Jap. sportsbike and middle aged returnee to biking... often ends in tears ;-( These riders often don't posses the paranoia you need to survive on a bike, having grown up in cars. I spent 22 years with only a bike - now I have a 110. I feel a lot safer!

Reply to
David Sillitoe

In article , David Sillitoe writes

Steady. As someone who enjoys both, and knows well why I don't have a very powerful Jap. sports bike I can guarantee that no all returnee bikers are like that.

I do get pretty aggressive in Bristol traffic mind, but only sub-30MPH.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Twas Sun, 28 Dec 2003 18:50:09 GMT when SpamTrapSeeSig put finger to keyboard producing:

I think it's fair to say that you get plenty idiots on motorbikes, in the same way you get plenty idiots in cars. Even a few in Land Rovers (though those are very rare).

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

From the look of the scene, the biker was killed after a car pulled out in front of him into the outside lane.

Reply to
Mother

On or around Sun, 28 Dec 2003 17:47:15 +0000 (UTC), David Sillitoe enlightened us thusly:

I've had bikes on and off for years. Current much-modified BMW R60 is good for about a ton flat out, but progressing at 60-80 on the ordinary roads which is so effortless[1] on modern machinery requires a goodly portion of skill and attention, and is in fact much more fun than the point-and-squirt approach which is all-to-evident in some of the riders of very potent modern stuff. Sometimes, I embarrass 'em by catching up through every corner the ground they made on the straights by being able to top 120 in a few seconds, only to anchor it for the next corner.

[1] and hence dangerous. Mate's modern(ish) VFR750F is soooo smooth going from about 60 to 120 in a few seconds that you don't realise yer doing it half the time. In the right hands, it's seriously fast cross-country as it does in fact handle very well for a sports-tourer, but it's all-to-easy to go piling into a corner with some silly speed on, which is OK 'til you panic and try to brake.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Fair enough! I reckon the only reason I enjoyed 22 years on two wheels was that I rode BM's, Guzzis and HD's... not R1's and the like ;-)

Reply to
David Sillitoe

Oh, I'm sorry, I misread your post. The one I saw on the M6 *was* travelling southbound on the northbound hard shoulder.

In that case I give every sympathy.

David

Reply to
David French

{mother}

No... see my other post...

Reply to
David French

I did that once a long time ago and erly on in my driving carreer, I came round a traffic island in yorkshire somewhere and took the wrong exit which was actually the opposite carriageway of a dual carriageway, it can happen, just had to keep going to the next island. It was all a long time ago now and erly on in my driving carreer. Quite safe actually if the oncoming traffic sticks to the nearside lane and leaves you alone in the fast lane as it is just like an ordinary road. Wouldn't want to do it on the Coventry Ring Road though :(

Reply to
Larry

Too old to rock and roll too young to die....

Reply to
Larry

Rather like the guy on a pushbike just west of M4 Jct. 8 on a Wednesday afternoon just before rushhour (lots of cars, mostly doing 90). Cycling west on the hard shoulder/inside lane (yes - he was all over the place) in the eastbound lane.

Absolute moron.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

|| all-to-evident in some of the riders of very potent modern stuff. || Sometimes, I embarrass 'em by catching up through every corner the || ground they made on the straights by being able to top 120 in a few || seconds, only to anchor it for the next corner. ||

Beat a local semi-pro racer on a Commando 850 over a ten-mile blast through North Lincs a few years back, for exactly the same reason - on a Guzzi V50II. He'd catch me on every straight, and I'd leave him for dead at every corner. Wonderful moment.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

In article , Mr. Nice. writes

Indeed, although round here it's scooters. Happened this morning, funnily enough: Was pottering along the bus lane near us into town at around 30, when some prat on an L-plated scooter overtook me and then swerved in front of a car in the parallel lane. If the driver had been less alert, he might have got me whilst trying to avoid the idiot scooterist.

If you do a full bike course+test, it's hammered into you how much other road users can't see you - blind spots, etc. You can however do the "CBT" and get on-road with just L-plates, as a total menace.

Although I did just that years ago (not the 'menace' bit!), there are far more vehicles around nowadays, and I just don't think it's safe any more to take that approach. It's great that teenagers are rediscovering mopeds/scooters - I had so much fun on mine at their age, and it's a much better idea than putting them in cars - but I wish we did what the Americans do and teach driving in school. Not to their standards mind!

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig