wiper problem on '92 LX 5.0

Has anyone seen a problem where the wipers quit working for a while. I have an intermittent problem; my wipers will work for a while and then quit. Sometimes you can hit the chassis and restart the wipers. Sometimes after stopping the car and re-starting the motor; the wipers will work again. I have checked the wiring for control voltage and it is present even when the wipers are not working. So I am leaning toward replacing the connector on the harness that connects to the wiper motor. I am also considering replacing the wipre motor itself.

Anyone seen this?

Reply to
treignz

First, does the motor still appear to be running but the wipers aren't moving? If this is the case, pull the plastic cover off the top of the wiper unit ( it snaps off). You will see copper slip rings that are part of intermittent and parking circuits. This will come off too. Underneath is a large nylon gear that is turned by a steel pinion gear. With age the grease dries out and the nylon gear gets stripped. If this is the case the unit will need to be replaced. If you get a used one pull it apart and check the condition of the gear before you buy it. If it looks good put some fresh grease in it before you install it.

If the actual motor is stopping intermittently it could be that the slip rings and contacts inside are dirty and just need a good cleaning. Put a thin layer of white grease on the slip rings, not too much as it will get thick in cold weather and cause problems ( ask me how I know!) While your in there grease that damn gear too! Also check the copper grounding strip on one of the mounting rubbers. Give it a cleaning with sandpaper etc and make sure it grounds well to the body. BTW you can use brake cleaner to clean contacts, just watch the plastic parts when you spray it around. HTH StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Thanks,

I'll give this a shot before I go out and buy a new motor.

moving? If this is

gear. With age

of white grease

check the copper