95 Pickup "Bird" noise when cold (VG30E engine)

Anyone ever heard of the 3 liter v-6 enigine having terrible "tapping" sounds when cold and sounding like a loud bird when taking the foot off the gas?

After about 2~3 minutes, the sounds completely go away and everything sounds great. If anyone has had an experience like this, please share. Also, if anyone has any idea why the noise would go away, I'd love to know.

Thanks, David

you can reply to: david.a.goldman @ verizon.com (Please Remove Spaces Around "@" If Replying Directly.)

Reply to
news.verizon.net

This sounds like two separate issues. The tapping sound might be the valves making a sound common to that engine when cold and the oil hasn't fully circulated yet, although in my experience it usually stops much sooner so it may not be that. The birdy sound could be a slipping belt.

Reply to
Larry Kessler

Its probably your exhaust manifold leaking. Over time, the studs that hold your exhaust manifold to your engine break. The tapping sound is the exhaust gases leaking out. As your engine warms up, the heat causes the manifold to "warp", sealing the leak (this is a guess here). This is a very common problem with the v6 Nissan truck engines; do a google search for more info.

- Dave

Reply to
Dave