metal noise cold engine

Hi, I have a 1999 2.4 Chrysler Grand voyager. The engine makes a grinding metal noise when I start it in the morning. The noise is less when the motor gets warmed up.

Here's a history off what they have done in the garage:

-Replacement gasket (oil leak)

-Replacement timing belt, tensioner and cover

-Replacement waterpump

But so fare the problem is still there.

Now they say the noise comes from inside the engine and they want to remove the oil pan.

Thanks in advance,

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Have you checked the alternator belt. Frequently a worn belt when cold with sound like that and within 5 minutes the noise will disappear. While you are checking the belt, check the pullys and tensioner too,

Reply to
Rajsircar

In the garage they removed the service belts and let the motor running. The noise was still there. They say it comes from inside the motor. They have checked the pullys and the tensioner also. The mechanic said its perhaps a blocked up filter???? He wants to check it by removing the oil pan. Thanks in advance

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Not to sound like a "wise ass" ....BUT I think the next thing to do is replace the van. Or you can just ignore the problem, which is probably no problem at all. By the way... you describe the van as being a 1999 2.4 Chrysler Grand Voyager? Is that with the 2.4 engine? You better look closer.... I doubt it has the 4 cylinder engine- standard was one of the V6 engines.

Dan

Reply to
SaintDan

Yes, it is a 2.4 engine 4 cylinder and it has a balance-carrier. It is that balance carrier that causes the problem. The chain slided at the housing. Now the dealer is looking to replace the culprit but there is no chain available neither in Europe, neither in the USA. So I have to wait at least a month for it. Believe who it can.... The new 2.4 hav the same balance carrier.

Does anyone know a faster way of getting spareparts ? Is there anyone hwo had the same problem ?

Tia,

Jan

"SaintDan" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@wideopenwest.com...

Reply to