Altima clutch needs bleeding?

Greetings all,

I posted a couple of weeks ago about having trouble getting my 99 Altima 5 speed into 1st gear in the morning.. I've since changed the trans fluid (went with the dealer's lighter weight stuff) and that made no difference, but after some experimenting I think I've narrowed the problem down to the clutch not disengaging completely when I press the pedal.

I measured how much the slave cylinder moves on my 94 with the pedal pressed, and it was about 2 3/4 inches (as I recall). On the 99, it only moved around 1 3/4 inches. I was also able to duplicate the problem on my

94 by pressing the clutch maybe 1/3 of the way to the floor, ie, can't shift into 1/3/5 but 2nd and reverse are available with some resistance.

So assuming I'm on the right track here, what should I look at doing to fix the problem? I'm guessing that bleeding the hydraulic line is probably the only thing I'm going to be able to do in the driveway. I've never noticed any huge amount of play in the pedal, so I don't think that's the problem.

Any thoughts on what else might be causing the clutch to not move completely? The "throwout lever" is a lot more stiff in the 99 than in the

94, and it was sqeaking when I used the clutch before I sprayed it with some lubricant, but I'm not sure if the stiffness isn't normal or not.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Reply to
JM

I just realized that the fact that one clutch is more or less worn than the other might account for the difference in amount of movement... I would think though that this would only affect the resting position of the release fork, and the position with the pedal depressed would remain constant.. meaning the total "throw" would be different. I actually measured the distance from the rubber boot to the end of the pushrod, fully extended, so I would think this should be the same on both, regardless of how worn the clutch is? Is that right?

Reply to
JM