Couple Of Questions About Sensors

Hi Everyone,

Just trying to fix a few faults on my Hyundai X2 GSi.

The petrol gauge is playing up, when the tank is over half full it registers fine as soon as the car is started and gives an accurate reading. However, when the tank is half full or under, the gauge doesn't register anything and while driving every now and again it moves but most of the time it stays below E. I've checked all the connections on the sensor and nothing's loose, does it sound like a dodgy sensor or something else?

Also the temperature gauge, it never registers anything. I've found the sensor on the engine, is there a way I can test that it is the sensor that's playing up and not the part behind the dash?

Any help is much appreciated, just wanted to double check first that it's definitely the sensors that are broke because these parts are pretty expensive from Hyundai.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
Adam

it sounds like the fuel gauge sender unit has a fault. the only way is to remove the sender and check it using a multimeter, a visual inspection can usually throw up the damaged or faulty bit and sometimes they can be fixed. I probably wouldn't bother, just refill every time you have done 250 miles or whatever. the temp sender is easier, just earth the lead to it and the gauge should go to hot. these senders are only a few pounds and any car shop can supply.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

With old cars when there were problems with dashboard gauges the ballast resistor was at usually at fault (whatever that is). Don't know much about it other than it sat behind the dash panel. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

It's a regulator, so as to provice a constant 10v (IIRC) to the guages, so they read consistently.

Quite often fails over time, although newer ones are electronic, so I don't know if they'd give the symptoms described or not. With the old ones, it could be possible that one guage might not register at all (too little power) and one would, but only under the most favourable conditions (engine bloody hot, or fuel tank near full) I think.

Of course, it could be any combination of sender and regulator faults, but I'd certainly be pricing up the little box and finding out how easy it is to fit before going any further, might be cheap and easy enough to do even if it isn't the fault :)

Reply to
Stuffed