Forgot to change the oil

Is 14 months too terribly long between oil changes on a (mostly) solid '93 Sentra XE? I try to do my own maintenance, but just discovered the mistake today. What I use is Castrol 5W-30 with a Purolator filter, if that's any difference, and the car turned 49K miles recently.

Thanks, JM

Reply to
DemoDisk

How many miles did you travel in that 14 months? Not the end of the world, but best to change it ASAP.

Reply to
JimV

I bought a used Chrysler van a number of years ago.

On my first oil change the oil came out black. I started to monitor the oil very closely and found that it got black real quick after being changed. I kept changing it at regular intervals and as time has gone on, the oil now stays cleaner much longer between oil changes, in fact three quarters of the way since the last oil change and yesterday it was a dark gold on the dipstick.

I believe that the regular oil changes have cleaned up the engine over time.

That being said, you could go for an oil flush cleaning and then stick with the program after that and you should have no worries.

My 95 Maxima also purchased used has always had regular changes and even today at 240,000 Km I find it difficult to see the oil on the dipstick it's just so clean.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

So annoying, yet so wonderful at the same time:)

CD

Reply to
Codifus

My brother-in-law had a Toyota pickup in the early '90s that he used for a delivery service. He let it go for over 100,000 miles without an oil change. The truck ran for another 300,000 miles after that without any oil related issues. If your '93 just turned 49k miles and its not burning oil, I'd say you don't need to worry. Just change it and move on.

Reply to
E Meyer

AAAAAAAAaaaaa! =:O

Used to have an '86 Nova/Corolla and changed its oil *every* 3K miles bcz it was so easy. It ran beautifully until 1993. The driver who totalled it said he'd never seen parts in such good condition.

Point taken, thanks.

JM

Reply to
DemoDisk

Yes --- 100,000 miles! Its not a typo.

Reply to
E Meyer

Reply to
Newsgroup User

You can call whatever you want. He really did let it go that long.

Reply to
E Meyer

No way did that happen.. It would have stopped up the oil pickup screen with trash/sludge. He might have told you he did that but it's BS.

Reply to
Steve T

Steve T quipped:

I have to agree. There's a higher probably that vehicle was able to fly than run 100k on the same oil.

Did he also never refill his gas tank for 100k too?

Reply to
amstaffs

": P" quipped:

it's possible she never changed the oil but it's also just as likely that she didn't drive far or much.

Reply to
amstaffs

cried out

bearing in mind that last time i aksed my grandmother what all she had done on her last tune up, she replied "they cleaned the windshield and said something about sparklers" Many women have no clue what goes on during a tune up including the OIL CHANGE. My 91 sentra ha 223,000 miles still runs perfect, i relate this to changing the oil frequently, along with all filters, and keeping good plugs. I'll belive a car went 100,000 on the same oil when driving in reverse fills your tank back up...

Reply to
Rosco

This is a conversation I had with my ex-wife before she got the ex. She: Did you take the car to the dealer and change the shock absorbers? Me: Yes I did. She: Well, you better take it back, because I am still getting a shock when I get in the car.

Reply to
Willshak

Willshak cried out

lmao! wow i thought granny was bad