Poor fella with 2001 Xterra...

Poor fella with 2001 Xterra... got a new remote starter. Two days later, it dies going around a corner and won't start. Just a coincidence that the remote starter had just been installed?? YUP! Turns out the distributor isn't turning... you folks know what that means! TIMING BELT! Question! Any chance valves DIDN'T get bent? It was a low speed failure, which surely helps the odds if the possibility even exists! Are there any significant cam angles where the crank can rotate and not bend valves? This is the 3.3 V6 so it seems like possibly no chance at all? If there is any possibility, I'm thinking about pulling the spark plugs and trying to have a look with a bore scope. Anyone done that before. Trying to determine if we should take a shot and doing the belt or not. If I see an obvious mark on a piston I won't proceed. But I'm guessing a valve could get damaged without necessarily leaving a mark on the piston (or one easily seen on a bore-scope screen? According to someone at this link:

lucky and had no bent valves. But it's not clear if the vehiclewas stillrunning or not, just mentions 5 or 6 teeth in one spot missing!And that's 01Frontier not Xterra... same engine?Next question will be head/valve repairs vs.head replacement vs. engineswap....

Reply to
In2hoppn