1999 Maxima starting problem-injectors?

"Santa" just brought a 1999 Maxima GXE for my 16 y/o son. It has about

100K miles, and seemed to run quite well when I test drove it, and when I drove it home. However, now that we have had it a few days we have found a little problem. Until last night, it was hidden at a friend's house and not being driven.

When cold, it starts and runs fine. However, when it has been driven, and then you go out and try and start it again (from 1-2 hrs later for example) it will just kick over, then stall and can't be started again for several hours. I did start and stop the car at the gas station on the way home, and it started fine.

I suspect it is a fuel injector problem? I had a 1987 Maxima that had faulty injectors and they would leak down into the cylinders and flood the engine, but it would run fine if left over night.

The irony here is that we purchased a used Maxima primarily due to the "reliability" of our previous Maximas, a 1987 that had 240K on it when I rear-ended someone, and a 1995 that had 180K that got totaled when I got rear-ended. The original plan was for the teenager to get the '95.

It galls me to have paid good money for a car that won't run, but I know that is the risk in buying an older used car. I just wanted something that was "disposable" if he has an accident.

Reply to
blane64

==== I would first try some of this quality injector cleaner it really works wonders.

Then if things don't get beter have a voltage check on coils and injectors. Maybe plugs. also cleaning the intake butterfly. since you bought it used spending a little money should be expected. Good Luck.

Reply to
KybonaBygona

Well, it is time for major egg on the face. I will confess the true cause of the problem, and then slink off into the weeds of the internet....

It is the key-transponder problem.

I had previously used the original key the other times I drove the car. I gave my son the original key, and was trying to use a copy to move the car around, etc. Interestingly it would let the car fire over for a second or so, then it would die and not even fire over again, no matter how many times you crank it. Finally, I was SOOO mad, I had just been out in the driveway trying to start it, and my son said "Let me try, Dad, maybe I will have some luck." I huffed away and said "Knock yourself out, but I know how to start one of these cars, I had one just like it (1996) for 11 yrs!" He proceeded to start the car effortlessly (DOH!) We drove all around town, and when we got home, we figured out that the key was the only difference, and sure enough, that was it. The copy (non-transponder) key would let the car start and run for about 2 seconds like normal and then it would die. So much for my cheap spare keys.......

Now I will sl> "Santa" just brought a 1999 Maxima GXE for my 16 y/o son. It has about

Reply to
blane64

Hey at least you figured it out without spending a lot of time and money. Here's my transponder key story.

My 2003 only came with one key and one remote. Dealerships quoted $60 per new blank key, with $45 - $90 to program depending on dealership. Bought two blank keys on Ebay for $30, also bought two remotes for $30 Took my original key plus two new blanks to dealership. You must have ALL keys programmed at once, INCLUDING THE ORIGINAL KEYs, or they will not work after the reprogramming. Had keys programmed for $45. Only hitch was that they could NOT program my original Nissan key together with my two no-name brand keys, so i ended up with only two keys which will start the car plus one which will open but not start. If you want 3 keys programmed they must all be of the same brand.

Not sure how much of this applies to 1999 but hopefully it will help.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

=== Well all is well that ends well. Just glad my 98 Max does not have the smart type keys.

Reply to
KybonaBygona