upper oil pan on 95 maxima??

I must have the leakiest maxima on the planet! I replaced both valve cover gaskets,oil sending unit,oil pan gasket. I am now down to one leak and I took it to the mechanic who put some of the "leak tracer" and was able to find it coming from the upper oil pan gasket. He said it was a pretty intense job. Has anyone ever done it? What is all involved in doing this. I cant even see the upper oil pan formt ehe top of the engine?? Thanks:)Nel

Reply to
:

I haven't done it, but looking at the procedure in the service manual, it does not look like much fun. Lots of stuff to remove and lots of warnings about damaging the aluminum surfaces when trying to pry it apart.

Having just recently experienced the thrill of taking apart the top of the '96 (valve cover gaskets & EGR repair), I think I would be motivated to pay somebody to do the bottom.

Reply to
E Meyer

Thanks for the post!! Where does it look likes it located? Does the lower oil pan have to come off again as well?? Thanks

Reply to
:

The little steel pan is mounted on the bottom of the bigger aluminum pan, which covers the entire bottom of the engine. If you look up from underneath, you should see the seam at about the level of the crank shaft. The steel pan has to come off again to remove the strainer. You also have to remove the crank sensors, some of the transmission bolts, an access plate and the front exhaust tube, then support the transaxle with a jack, the engine with a hoist & engine "slinger" and take off the center member from under it. Definitely does not look like fun.

Reply to
E Meyer

Just thinking about that job makes me shiver! Thanks for the help!! :)Nel

Reply to
: