95 SE. Knock sensor trouble code (P0325) common?

If I get a knock sensor code regularly should I replace it (after ruling out electrical connectors)? If I clear it, it comes back pretty quickly. The car does not audibly knock.

Last year my garage told me that code comes up all the time on Maximas. It isn't a code that lights the CEL, so I'm sure most people ignore them until they get a code that does.

Do you get P0325 regularly on your Max?

Reply to
David

If you get 325s and they come back quickly (within a couple days) of a reset, it's probably time for a new knock sensor. Do you notice it doesn't have the zip it used to? When a bad knock sensor is detected it retards the timing to prevent damage (but doesn't turn on the CEL). expressautoparts.com has these for a good price with free shipping. Don't over-torque it and don't drop it.

Reply to
JimV

It comes back a lot faster than that.

That explains it all. Thanks!!

Reply to
David

You are right when you say most people will not notice the fault but when they bring the car in for some other problem, it will be there. Of course, it sometimes pops up with other codes as a false positive, but definitely is a problem if it pops up repeatedly by itself with no check engine light.

If you know your car well, the loss of power is noticeable with a bad knock sensor. If I were to guess, I'd say a 15% drop...

CW

Reply to
CW

I had indication of a bad knock sensor on my 95 SE, but it was at the same time as a failed injector. So I do not know if the knock sensor was really bad or just triggered by the rough running. The dealer replaced knock sensor at my expense. That was the only time in 10 years (purchased May 94) that a knock sensor code was triggered (did not happen when injector failed under warranty, or third failed injector nearing 110k mi).

Reply to
David Efflandt

Hello, this is my first time on this board and I don't know much about cars. So any help would be great!! I have a 95 SE Maxima and the engine started kicking when I tried to accelerate. I thought it might be the fuel injectors being dirty so I got them cleaned, it's still messing up. I also noticed that the engine kicks when it hit 2,000 rpms EVERYTIME. Can anyone tell me what they think is wrong w/ this? Thanks.

Reply to
Thor-thon
1995-1999 Maximas have a common problem with knock sensor (code p325), o2 oxygen sensors, coils, and even sometimes the solenoid for EVAP located in the driver side below the rear quarter panel next to the EVAP charcoal box!!! Everyone gets these problems nowadays!!!
Reply to
M3EuroS52