Brake Pad replacement (maybe) - need help

First of all, I am a greenhorn as far as auto mechanics is concerned. With that in mind....

I have a '98 Max GLE with about 45k on it. We drive very less, as you can see from the mileage. About a month ago or so, we started getting a screeching noise from the brakes. Didn't cause any problems with braking, but I decided to take it to the local Firestone service center. They looked it over (actually I was there for a oil change & to get the tires rotated) and told me that I need the following:

Front pads are worn 80% (need change) Rear pads are worn 60% (suggest change)

They also told me front pads are ceramic, rear ones are organic - is that right? They sounded a little confused about it. In the estimate, they have said front ceramic, rear organic, but in another page they have

"Declined service - front metallic, rear metallic". huh?

Anyways, they also want to "clean the front calipers" for $65. They suggest

Front ceramic pad $110.30 Brake Job front $90.00 (labor) caliper service $65.00 (labor)

Rear organic pad $39.99 Brake Job front $105.00 (labor)

Total with taxes+whatever would be $438.34

Couple of things

1) I have a vague "getting ripped off" feeling 2) Do they know what kind of brake pads go on what? (LOL) 3) What's that caliper service thing? Wipe it with a rag for $65?

Anyways - I had a bunch of coupons so the inspection/estimate etc. didn't cost me anything, but wondering what to do now. BTW, the screeching sound it gone - probably they cleaned it up to look it over - hehe.

I am open to advice re:how to do it myself (if I should), or where to go to get this done. I am in the Chicago suburbs.

Thanks!

Reply to
Anon

It should have metallic pads on all 4. Their prices aren't bad, but I'd just have the front ones done. The rears wear very slowly. Caliper service *should* mean rebuild it (new seals) and bleed the system. Many folks on here will tell you that OEM (Nissan) pads work best on Maximas.

Reply to
JimV

Unless you got a stone behind the brake shield (in which case backing up may spit it out), the squeal is likely brake wear indicators (a metal tab on brake contacting caliper). On my 95 SE I typically needed front pads about every 30k miles, but did frequent parking lot and high speed autocross. I usually replaced them myself with OEM Nissan pads (just requiring proper wrenches, coat hanger to support caliper, and large C-clamp to compress pistons). So you are likely due for front pads. I imagine stock pads are semi-metalic. Not sure if ceramic would create less brake dust.

Some people have trouble with squealing from non-Nissan pads, but I wonder if it was from failing to put the Y clips back on (which may keep pads from dragging on rotors), or keeping the sheet metal backing plates around pads (to absorb vibrations).

Despite my heavy driving, my rear pads lasted until the parking brake cable seized (likely due to winter road salt) dragging the rear brakes somewhere around 100k miles. I had a dealer replace those because it was January and I had no garage at the time.

I replaced front rotors at about 90k, not because they failed, but because they were heat checked (small cracks) and were not cooling as effectively with rust buildup in center venting (fade during autocross). The car is over 10 years old (purchased May 94) and still a joy to drive.

Reply to
David Efflandt