306 Stalling

Hi,

Got a 306 which has the usual symptoms of stalling when idling. Have replaced Stepper Motor and Coil Pack (just as a precaution more than anything to stop the ECU being spiked) - now it only seems to stall when cold, after she's been running for 5 mins or so, it seems to be OK.

I was about to send the ECU off to get it tested, but if it had been damaged, I would have thought it would affect the car all the time - not just when its cold.

Any pointers ? O2 sensor maybe ?

Cheers, Tim.

Reply to
Tim Jenkins

Maybe the ECU needs to be connected up to Diagnostics and have any fault codes reset, or the stepper motor needs adjustment. Just a thought, im no mechanic but had similar problems with my 306, only i needed to replace the ECU as the coil pack spiked it. Hope this helps, Graham.............

Reply to
Graham H

I posted my similar story earlier (below) and received no reply. My O2 sensor needed replacing, but the engine code light was flashing up and the ECU gave me the code informing me it needed replacing. It's a very common prblem and my 306 has had it for past two years and I've sorta got used to it, but it still annoys me. Good luck!

"I know this topic comes up alot and I have tried all the normal avenues to rectify the cold stalling issue and to date I have done the following: put in new O2 sensor, new temp sensor, new stepper motor, checked all hoses and pipes for leaks, full service at independant garage (was due for full service and they found no problem), scanned at peugeot dealer (useless).

I haven't checked the MAP sensor yet and I have read that maybe it would be the potentiometer. I know where the MAP sensor is, but not sure where the potentiometer would be in my P Reg 306 XSi 8valve 2.0 stalling nightmare of a car.

Also once it gets up to operating temperature it seems to be fine. Any ideas or help would be very much appreciated."

Reply to
johnny

"I know this topic comes up alot and I have tried all the normal avenues to rectify the cold stalling issue and to date I have done the following: put in new O2 sensor, new temp sensor, new stepper motor, checked all hoses and pipes for leaks, full service at independant garage (was due for full service and they found no problem), scanned at peugeot dealer (useless).

I haven't checked the MAP sensor yet and I have read that maybe it would be the potentiometer. I know where the MAP sensor is, but not sure where the potentiometer would be in my P Reg 306 XSi 8valve 2.0 stalling nightmare of a car.

Hi,

The potentiometer is just underneath the stepper motor - held on with 2 bolts - just like the stepper motor.

Do you know where the temperature sensor is ?

Cheers, Tim.

Reply to
Tim Jenkins

Cheers for that.

The temp sensor on my 306 (Xsi) was a complete b*tch to get to. It was behind the main engine block and at a really awkward angle. I bought a new temp sensor, about £10, then gave up trying to replace it and took it to my local decent-ish garage and asked them to replace it. It had to go on the ramp. Only took them 15 mins, but saved me a lot of hassle.

The temp sensor has a green plastic top if I remember rightly. Hope that helps?

Reply to
johnny

Cheers Johnny !

I've just sent my ECU off for testing so will wait to see what the outcome of that is. Might have to try the temp sensor next maybe. After that - don't think I'll bother throwing any more money at it - like you, wil probably just have to get used to it !! Will let you know if I have any success.

Reply to
Tim Jenkins

Dokily!

How much does it cost to send the ECU for testing and where? Please let us know the outcome.

From the two 1.5 yrs of trying to get mine sorted here's a list of what I'v read/been advised to check for cold stalling:

Vacuum leaks/broken hoses, faulty stepper motor, faulty potentiometer, coil pack frying ECU, wrong sparks, wrong battery, temp sensor failure, O2 sensor failure.

Reply to
johnny

Hi,

Mine cost around £30 and I used Avilec in Southampton. There are a bunch of places that will do it though. tunemycar.com do it and so do bba-reman.com.

My ECU has been fried by the looks of it - when I took the back off - there is a nicely blackened/scorched area near the processor so it looks like I am in need of a re-conditioned unit. When I get it, will let you know if it fixes the problem.

Cheers.

Reply to
Tim Jenkins

Ok cheers. Good luck and I hope you don't need to shell out loads of ££££'s!

Reply to
johnny

Hi,

Just got my ECU back today, fitted it and the Pug runs just like it did when it rolled out the factory ! Well happy !

Cheers.

Reply to
Tim Jenkins

Presumably it has been reconditioned. Expensive?

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Yep, re-conditioned - about £180 + VAT. Peugeot main dealer wanted £550 + VAT for a new one.

Reply to
Tim Jenkins

Peugeot are not exactly cheap are they ;o)

Keith

Reply to
Keith Willcocks