Cold Starting probelms

Hello to all

Can anyone advise on likely causes for non start of the 2.0 HDi

I have replaced all glow plugs with new and it was working fine for several weeks but then would not start.

It seems that if the air is very damp it won't start.

I have an electric fan heater which I put under the bonnet for about

20mins - it will start after this.

I don't think that the heater imparts enough heat to the engine to make the head warm enough to allow the engine to start - could it be that the heater dries out the air in the intake and this solves the problem?

The external temp sensor reports temp OK - is there another sensor looking at cold/humidity etc that could cause this?

Next stop is a new preheat control box but I am not convinced this will resolve the problem

Any help gratefully received.

Many thanks

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Hall

many things as haynes says,air filter element dirty or clogged.wax formed in fuel line. air in fuel system. injection pump timing incorrect.preheating system fault.thats some of the things in the book..

Reply to
Chris

sorry i try again. Many things Haynes says. Air Filter Element dirty or clogged. Wax forming in fuel line. Air in fuel system. Injection pump timing incorrect. Preheating system fault. just some of the things it could be,

Reply to
Chris

With the HDI engine, you can discount things like injection pump timing. Air in fuel line is also unlikely if it has a Bosch system. (fuel lift pump gives something like 3 bars pressure, so any problem would result in fuel leakage). The HDI engine has so many electronic bits controlling it that fault finding is difficult, and really the only way forward is to get a readout of the fault codes.

Reply to
Brian

So its got to go on a machine to find fault.in other words,

Reply to
Chris

It doesn't necessarily mean a Pug agent though. Most repairers have the hand held gadgets that can download the messages, my excellent one man business guy certainly has.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

I did have one till i left it out one night and it got very wet .

Reply to
Chris

They don't respond well to that sort of treatment do they ;o)

Keith

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

It did not work at all after that , but got to buy new one .. one day

Reply to
Chris

try give an starting aid. and be sure that you use battery with CCA

sorry, my english bad.

Reply to
agus.arifianto

Certainly you don't need to go to a main dealer, but there are problems with connecting to Pugs, and many of the low end readers do not work on some models, depending on the year. Something to do with the introduction of multiplex wiring. However, ones like the Dec Superscan, and Sykes ACR4 work fine, and can even reset warnings about additive level low.

Reply to
Brian