1999 Grand Am Coolant Leak

There seems to be coolant leaking from a hole from the water pump, my friends told me the hole is supposed to be there, anyone have this problem or solution.

1999 Grand Am 2.4 4 cylinder
Reply to
reydemx

When the water pump seal leaks, coolant flows out the hole in the casting. This is the sign you need a new water pump.

It could seep a little, your car may also leave small puddles under the car for awhile, or one day when you turn the car off and the seal cuts loose, then coolant will blast out like water out of FDNY's fire hose.

Good Luck.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~298,984 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

That problem is as old as cars themselves. The "weep hole" starts to leak coolant as a sign that the water pump bushings are wearing out. You need a new water pump. Doesn't get more common than that (for any brand car).

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Brace yourself for the high price of replacing the water pump on this engine. It's driven directly by the timing chain, so there is a fair bit of labour involved. About 6-7 hrs of labour and whatever the water pump "and" gasket kit costs.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai